Betta Fish Forum banner

4 dead cories? Please help.

621 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AyalaCookiejar 
#1 · (Edited)
I found 4 dead corydoras in my tank, 2 julii and 2 panda.
Water parameters are perfect, only thing that I I could say is that ammonia is at 0.25 which I don't think is enough to kill my cories, they were all in the same corner.
Is a 55 gallon heated to 78 degrees, and sorority lives there but they have been getting along fine and I don't think, the bettas are responsible, only thing that's is different is that I switched to play sand but I cleaned it throughly before adding it and filters were already running for almost 6 months and I also left some old gravel inside a Styrofoam cup to help the growth of beneficial bacteria. I also added 3 black kuhli loaches yesterday but those were quarantined before adding to the tank and some malaysian trumpet snails quarantined as well.
Like I said, water is perfect, tank is clean and plenty of filtration, currently using an aquaclear 70 and a penguin 350. Could the kuhli loaches be responsible? Those are supposed to be peaceful, please help.

#2 ·
.25ppm ammonia is not perfect unfortunately. And it is very much toxic at this level. It should never get to this. This means your tanks is not cycled and/or you're not doing frequent enough water change or you are overstocked.

How long have you had this tank set up? Unfortunately changing the substrate may have caused a mini cycle

How often and how much do you do changes? Do you use a siphon?

What is your full stock?

#3 ·
This tank has been set up for about 3 months now, filters came from my other tank, that has been set up for more than a year. I do weekly 60% water changes and as far as stock is I had 12 cories(6 pandas, and 6 juliis) now I have 8, 3 kuhli loaches a couple of malaysian trumpet snails also 16 female bettas.
I was blaming the loaches.

#5 ·
No- my brother has two loaches that ate his Molly. (The Molly completely disappeared.) HOWEVER, loaches are scavengers. They won't kill your other fish but they could jump at the chance to eat the carcasses AFTER they die.

#7 ·
I wouldn't. They aren't the problem... I've posted the same question on the TFK forum. Like I said, my brother has two Kuhli loaches and they are scavengers, not predators, meaning they may eat the other fish in the tank but only AFTER they die. Some other factor must have killed them... I would assume if you left the bodies in there, the loaches would take care of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.