Betta Fish Forum banner

Guppy issue *GRAPHIC*

987 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Romad 
#1 ·
So for those out there, who specialize in guppies..

i brought 8 guppies, added to the community, two days later the guppies all showed white dots on fins, i separated ALL the guppies into a QT tank. i had 8 or so from the farm guppy tank and within a week im down to 7.

this lady just died and i noticed red spotting on her sides, im not sure if the others had a pick at her but her belly had a hole in it.
i (yes sounds gross, but i needed to see) i gently squeezed her sides and out came 12 babies that would have only been a few days off birth.

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe fish should have been placed in quarantine tank you mention from the get go?
This can help keep pathogen's unknown, from spreading to otherwise healthy fishes.
Would review need's of guppies Diet,water chemistry, to see if anything you can do,,will benefit the fishes.

#3 ·
The hole is from other fish no doubt. When a fish dies usually others wil start picking at it. The softest part is the stomach area.

Sounds almost like ick. You need to be very careful to know when quarantining is needed. If the tanks are all overstocked and have sick looking fish QT. If the place has absolutely no sick fish you can risk no QT, but it can always be good to QT. Any petstore I would say QT the fish, they are in really bad conditions, if you go to a fish only place, and they sell healthy fish or have clean tanks that's where you can decide.

I get most of my shrimp from a really good store that many people love. Never have had a problem. I plan on getting fish from there as well.

#4 ·
I have bought from them before and had NO PROBLEMS. Einstein is also from there
and they LOOKED fine. there was NOTHING wrong with them that shouted QT i dont buy sick looking fish (Unless its betta and i know whats wrong with it and if its saveable)

i have never needed to QT any fish from there, its clearly just one bad shipment, they didnt hesitate to refund the money so i think they knew something was up with them.

#5 ·
Ugh! That was yuck but I understand the need to know what happened. As for QT, I have to agree that you should always do it even if your source is a trustful one. As good as they are, nobody can tell what might be brewing under the surface with a sickly fish or parasite.

It's hard to wait when you're excited about adding new stock but I have to remind myself that it's for the best and QT new fish for at least a month and often longer in a bare bottom tank before adding to my community tank.

Sorry about your gups :( The female could very well have died from complications trying to pass the fry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.