Betta Fish Forum banner

Major popeye. *graphic*

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  MrVampire181 
#1 · (Edited)
Went to Petsmart for a heater and came home with this boy with a marshmallow-like eye. His cornea was literally hanging by a thread when I got home, and sadly it seems to have fallen out. He'll be blind in that eye when it heals. I bought some maracyn one and two because it's so bad, do you think I should use it? His water, thankfully, was clean at the store. This is the worst popeye I've ever seen ... everytime I look at him I wince. :-(

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Because it's only one eye it could be from trauma as opposed to an infection. Popeye caused by aeromonas bacteria usually affects both eyes. How is his behavior? Is he active? I would start with clean water and methylene blue. Methylene blue will help prevent secondary infections and aid with any ammonia poisoning. Since he has lost the eye, you will really need to keep the water ridiculously clean for awhile to prevent secondary infections.

I have tested the ammonia in very clean-looking cups and still found it to be off the charts high more often than not.

#3 ·
He's quite active, a little tilty because of his eye. He's swimming in loose circles, but his fins aren't clamped. I'll keep up with the waterchanges and I've added some blackwater extract and some aquarium salt until I can get some meth blue (probably tomorrow).

#4 ·
Poor little thing! He's handsome despite that tiny eye of his. One of the bettas we used to have also had a popeye on one of his eyes. With crystal clean water and the methalyne blue he's gonna get better. I hope that little pirate can adjust to his new way of seeing with only one eye. You should get him a tiny patch, hehe. It's so nice you rescued him.

#9 ·
just a side note i normally don't post in medical sections but i am suprised that no one had recomended epsom salt.

just a little little bit will help draw the fluid build up in the eye.
no it won't cure any thing but it will help dry out and shrink. supposedly it also gives electrolytes but i hesatate to use the word since some one will undoubtly start askin if thier betta need gatorade for them.

but any way i use about 3/4 teaspoon epsom salt per gallon. *DON'T MIX SALT AND MEDICATION UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE DOING AND ARE SURE THAT THERE WILL BE NO INTERACTIONS* i use the epsom salt after the treatment doseing is done.

also and there is no proof of this but some time pop eye is fungal and can be killed by salting the tank a bit similar to ich *except ich is a parisitic organisim* again this is what i have heard and is passed on as hearsay i will defer to any one who knows better and apologize if i am in error.

#12 ·
OMGOSH. That's absolutley terrible!! Poor guy. I've only lost one fish to popeye, 4 to dropsy, and 3 to gill infections. Thank God my bacterial infections stay low. Most of the time these fish had combined diseases. So total I've only lost about 4 to bacteria. Clean water goes a long way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.