Betta Fish Forum banner

Fin rot question. Melafix?

837 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  BettaxFishxCrazy 
#1 ·
Alright so my betta Felix is currently in a 2.5 gallon heated tank, no filter. I normally clean it about twice a week but for the past month have probably only been cleaning once a week due to my busy schedule. I noticed that his tail fin and the fin underneath him(sorry no clue on the names) were turning white/red around the edges and about 1/4 of the way up his tail. I couldnt remember if his fins had always been that color or if they'd changed so I looked back at old pics and sure enough they had changed. I went to my pet store and was going to buy jungle fungus clear but since they came in fizz tabs made for 10 gallon the pet store guy(I know you cant really trust them but I had no one else to ask since I'd gone there thinking the jungle clear was what I wanted.

Anyways he suggested Melafix because it was more easily measured being a liquid. I cleaned his tank last night really good and put in the med. I put him in later and he seemed totally fine. When I woke up this morning he's still very active but his tail fin (how do I explain...) The white and red is pretty much gone but some of his tail fin is also. It's like the bad parts of his fin are gone and you can see it shredded a little bit.

I'm really worried! I dont know if this is bad or good. It seems bad because his tail is a bit shredded but it also seems like maybe thats the way it works....like it gets rid of the bad stuff first then works on regrowth????Gosh I dont know what to do. Can anyone help me??

See less See more
#2 ·
Ugh, all pet store employees should be fired and all of us should get jobs there!lol Melafix is one of the controversial medications. I've heard good and bad things about it, but mostly bad things. I never use medication unless I have to because they could have a bad reaction to it. Could you take a picture of him? Some bettas are "marbled" and can/will change colors eventually. Clean, warm water and aquarium salt will heal him right up if it's fin rot. He could also be biting his tail. Do you have plenty of silk plants and hiding places for him? If you give them too much room to swim around, they can feel insecure and not safe. A picture would really help though. :)

#5 ·
He wont cooperate right now. I keep trying to take a picture but he keeps hiding. In regards to him tail biting I dont think that would be it. Even though his fins are discolored they were never ripped or torn until this morning. This morning they are shredded part way up. So do you think I should clean his tank again today and not put any melafix in?

#6 ·
Fin rot can be nasty, but if he's missing huge chunks of his tail, than it's tail biting. Sometimes they do it when we aren't around. It looks like they're chasing their tail like a dog does. I would do a 100% water change to get all of the Melafix out. Do you have any aquarium salt? Oh, and plastic plants and sharp decorations could do it also. Do you have anything sharp that could cut his fins up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.