Betta Fish Forum banner

Fluval Chi

996 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  SeaHorse 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi forum :)

All right, I'm a new Betta owner and i really need help and want to make sure im doing everything right.

i recently purchased a 1 Gallon tank (i know i know) and a betta 2 days ago. However, the tank is temporary and i bought a Fluval Chi 5 gallon tank today. I haven't really done anything with it yet because i am really confused and would LOVE answers.

1. How often and how should i clean my 5 gallon?

2. How often do i clean the filter?

3. I am going to be doing the nirtrogen cycle using fish. At the end of the cycle, I take out the shrimp, and theeen do I do a 100% water change.. Or..?

4. What does a gravel vacuum do.

Thank you so much, this forum has helped a ton already!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay, scratch question 3 that was stupid, I already have my fish. Okay, I guess im doing the nitrogen cycle with my fish :/ how often and how much should I complete water changes then? Thank you!!

#3 ·
I have a fluval chi so I'll tell you what I can.

I do 20% water change once a week. You will be adding water every other day because of evaporation by the way.

I rinse the filter once every two weeks (with the old water from the water change).

I found it easier to use a turkey baster over a gravel vaccum in this tank for gravel cleaning.

I should add my tank is pretty heavily planted so that helps quite a bit with keeping water quality in check.

#6 ·
Thanks a lot for your replies :) answered most of my questions :D.
Just a couple more questions for you Frankie if that's ok.

1. How big or small of a turkey baster should I get ?

2. Did you do your nitrogen cycle with your Betta? If so, how often did you do water changes during that period and how much of a percentage did you change? Thanks a ton.

Edit: oh ya I got the cover :) thanks!!

#7 ·
I bought a standard baster from the dollar store. Just make sure it's long enough you can keep your hands dry when using it. I believe the tank is ten inches high? So anything taller than that.

I did not cycle it with my betta. I actually used gravel and water from my established 20 gallon and put the filter element in my filter on the 20 gallon to get bacteria attached to it. I then let it go for about a week with a few ghost shrimp and never had a problem.

#9 ·
All right :))) thank you so much for the help. Still a bit confused about the nitrogen cycle, and how to do it in my tank, so any help would still be appreciated. Thanks!

#11 ·
All right I searched around online and got this: if ammonia and nitrite levels are greater than 0.25ppm, do a 50% water change.
Can anyone verify this information? I think it sounds pretty solid :)

#13 ·
Hey Mar. Good luck with the new tank and Betta.

This thread should stay open for continued conversation. It's a great New fish keeper thread!!

Thank You Frankiefire for posting very sound advice!! Your contributions to this thread are appreciated!
If you have a tank that is cycled with a filter you don't tear it down and clean it the way you would a betta tank without a filter. Those need 2x weekly water changes and full clean outs weekly I believe. Your 5 gallon can be maintained with vacuuming debris from the bottom with your baster, rinsing the filter pad in old tank or de-chlor water if you wish to use it again. Putting the new filter pad into the tank for a week before replacement of the old dirty one is a great way to build up some good bacteria on it.

If that tank is plastic be very careful with scrubbies etc as they can leave marks too when cleaning algae off for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.