Betta Fish Forum banner

Stupid!!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  xswornxoffxjello 
#1 ·
One of the closer petstores to me is one called Zamzows. They sell all kinds of pets and lawn care type of stuff. It is like a feed store/petstore. Well, I went in to look at their bettas and they have beautiful ones. The only things was the small contaiers they put them in. The poor betas could not even stretch out and many of the VTs only had like half of their tails and I know it was because of the small containers. Those are the smallest containers I have ever seen a betta in at a petstore. Then I find another one off by itself in a tiny tiny bolw proably not much bigger than my hubby's fist and it had a plant sitting on top with the roots almost filling up almost the whole bowl. The fish had NO WHERE to swim!! He had to stay in one spot and there was no way for him to swim up and get oxygen. They were also selling those bowls by the bettas. I can't believe people would actually use those bowls. :redmad:It just made me so angry. I wanted to buy that poor betta so bad. He was a dalmation with the brightest orange coloring. But sadly I didn't have them money at the time to buy another betta. :(

#7 ·
I was thinking about dong this next time I go in there. My petco has great care sheets available for the customers and I think that every pet store selling fish should do that.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would complain about it. Also, I wouldn't buy from there. If you buy, it only encourages them to continue. If people deprive them of a market by refusing to buy and telling them why, they might change their practices.
That is true. I haven't bought anything from that store in many years. They are sooo much better than they used to be with all the other animals but not with the bettas. Well, the water looked ok it's just how small the cups were and the fish had really no where to swim. I am really thinking about emailing and complaining, calling, or even better going back in there and complaining in person. I am a very quiet and shy person so this is not an easy thing for me to do. I did complain at walmart because I was mad so I think I could do it again. If I wasn't in a hurry I might have said something to the lady over by the fish.

#10 ·
I am really thinking about emailing and complaining, calling, or even better going back in there and complaining in person. I am a very quiet and shy person so this is not an easy thing for me to do.
I know what you mean. I find it difficult to speak up as well, but as long as you go about it in a polite and helpful way, there's no harm done. Think of it this way...The fish can't speak up. If you don't speak for them, who will?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.