Betta Fish Forum banner

Err finrot?

575 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  baylee767 
#1 · (Edited)
Neon has... something.

He's a tail biter, every few days to a week he'll "trim" his tail. Well, for over a week now, the top half of his tail has been short! Usually he lets it heal to a certain point and then starts biting it. Also, his anal fin has a few tears...

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80-ish
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? well there's a filter
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 pygmy cories

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 1X a day, fast on sunday
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 day a week 4-5 frozen bloodworms, one day a week frozen mysies shrimp (like brine shrimp just more protein), 4 days a week 3 pellets, one day a week fasting

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20% (I just finished a fish in cycle though, so I'll pobably go to 50% weakly)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aquasafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? All of his fins are starting to look slightly/majorly ragged except his pectorals
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago; I thought it was a usual display of tail biting
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, I've had him 6 months

I can't take a picture because one of the batteries in my camera is gone and I can't find any more. I'm not sure if he's tearing fins on driftwood or chewing them up or what, it just looks so much more ragged than before. But... there is no blackened edges...

EDIT: Oh, also, I realize that if it IS fin rot to QT him with 1 tsp AQ salt/gallon with daily 100% water changes. Just throwing that out so people don't have to take time out of their day reciting this (=

See less See more
#2 ·
If it is tail biting it is because he is bored or his tail is too heavy for him. Also you should check how sharp are decorations in your tank. I don't know much about pygmy cories (if they are aggresive or not) so I can not say if they are "helping" along.
Feeding high protein foods is important when re-growing fins. Daphnia are also high in protein and work as a natural laxative for fish so you may try those once in a while to prevent constipation. 1 Day fasting a week is perfect. I fast my boys on wednesday :eek:)
constant clean water and maybe more hiding spots for your betta could do the trick.

#4 ·
Time for a mock conditioning period then! I'm just going to be feeding bloodworms/mysies shrimp (according to my dad the shrimp are jam packed with protein) Since they're more ragged than they usually are and they've been that way longer than I'm comfortable with. Happy Betta now (=

#5 ·
Are the bloodworms freeze dried? I do not recommend to feed those everyday or you may have problems with constipation. Frozen are better and you can feed them more often. Also please keep in mind that fish stomach is about same size as its eye, so you don't want to overfeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.