Betta Fish Forum banner

Cure My Fear of Plecos?

6K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  djembekah 
#1 ·
They just get so darn big! I don't want to be afraid of a fish I haven't had experience with but I feel like they will squelch up the glass and crawl up my arm or that it will somehow get out of the aquarium and suck on everything in my room including my feet, like a snakehead!:oops: Please help me with my irrational fear of being eaten by a giant catfish!:thankyou:

#3 ·
they die out of water. lol. they dont ALL grow to be huge. they hate feet, and hate sucking on stuff out of water, because they will die. ? lol help any?

#15 ·
Catfish are cute and sweet! I promise they won't attack you. :)

Ew.. some bugs really freak me out, and you peeps have managed to name two of them.. spiders and ticks. xD We keep finding brown recluses in our yard and on our porch, it's really starting to scare me. Here, we have those and black widows.

#16 ·
Arent brown recluse spiders the spiders that enjoy living in sock drawers and toy chests? Yet another reason I will never go to Australia and apparently East Tennessee! To many creepy crawlies. I also have an intense dislike for crocodiles. Thats why I cant retire in Florida. Honestly, I dislike so many animals I'm considering just living in a huge city when I get older!

#20 ·
Yep. We used to hang our clothes up on a clothes line, until one was nesting in a shirt. Now we just pay the extra money to have clothes dried. I have to research methods of abolishing these evil monsters. There are black bears here, too, but those are less scary, because at least I could see one of those attempting to hide in my sock drawer!
Edit: Brown recluse bites are also the ones that cause necrosis..

#25 ·
Plecos are cute and all, but the one thing that creeps me out the most are CICADAS. I just moved here from the Philippines, so I'm really not used to them, especially when they are flying and making the clicking sound.

#30 ·
All I can say is to get rid of your fear try hanging out with a pleco in a friend's house or a Pet store near you. The sooner you appreciate it's cleaning and sucking, the more you can get rid of your fear.

#33 ·
I used to have a fear of fish in general but it got away after i spend time near the aquarium. I used to have even nightmares but if you spend time and observe them you understand there is nothing to fear.

The only thing i cant stand is dead fish. I just cant stand seeing them. I cant handle removing a dead fish from the tank and i cant handle seeing its body. Even the thought as i type this unsettles me. Talking about a tough situation. Thats one of the factors i will think twice,maybe thrice before building a new aquarium in the future.

#36 ·
It's technically an improper term grammatically.. Platypodes would be the correct way to say it grammatically, but most people just say platypus as the plural or even platypuses. People do use platypi as well.. It's like how people say octopuses/octopi/octopodes.. Or even fish and fishes.. Even though some of them are technically grammatically incorrect when looking at Latin/Greek (whichever is the origin of the word), it's so commonly used that there isn't really a "correct" way to say it, all forms are accepted. Just whichever you prefer.

#39 ·
Actually its placostomus. Which its a greek word meaning wide mouth.
Platypodas means wide foot. Unless i am mistaken and we are talking about a different species. :)

As for the octopus its octapodi / octapodes which means 8 legs.

#38 ·
There are so many myths about betta's and you don't believe those. Why Pleco's and snakeheads? There are many myths about both of those two. Snakeheads are only viscious in the water. Out of the water, just don't put your hands in their mouths! They don't crawl across land like hollywood says. they are air breathers and very similar to betta. They only are in small bodies of water or in the mud because of too much rain or not enough. They don't have the build for crawling across land.

I own a pleco and I can tell you they can be creepy looking at times especially when they look like they are blinking. They are not totally harmless as they do have those spike/barb things that most catfish have just don't pick him up. They won't crawl out of your tank. I actually enjoy mine. Except the tons of poop. :( I agree with Htennek. You need to be around one. They are really very cool.

#46 · (Edited)
Yep its quite a complex language. I think you guys in the States have a saying: 'Its all Greek to me'.

Or is it a British saying?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.