Betta Fish Forum banner

I bought my Fishie a friend from the betta shipment today!

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  n3wport 
#1 ·
So I went to the petco where I got Eddie Money from. They got their shipment in and I was just curious.. yea..

So there were 3 I wanted. An all white halfmoon and another crowntail that was blue with yellow fins. I decided to get this crowntail even though I am pretty sure it has finrot.

but I wouldn't be surprised:

How often do you change the betta's water?
Manager: Once every two weeks.
YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE SEEN MY FACE hahaha

So I got a temp. 2.5 gallon tank that was only 25 dollars (on sale) and just threw some stuff I have been saving for my 10 gallon.. if I ever get that up and running.. yea..

Eddie Money bein a grump

So as for the fin rot. . .
I put some AQ salt in there and it has been a steady 80 degrees. My room
is hot I cant help it! I spent the extra money on a tank with a filter because I assumed itd be better than him just staying in a kritter keeper?
I use Prime with my water and AQ salt

Do you think the clean water will be enough to help his fins?

See less See more
#2 ·
ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS! That guy should be tarred and feathered! At least Petsmart told me they do it twice a week (and I thought THAT was bad! Sheesh!).

From what I've read, the AQ salt/warm water/CLEAN water should clear up the rot. Good luck, he's lovely!

#3 ·
*sinks down to the floor mumbling* I do it twice a week....

Also: Love your fish!

#4 ·
Awww, but you don't keep your babies in a little teeny cup!!! <3 :)

#5 ·
Right! Ugh I hate my Walmart for that reason. The woman who was supposed to be taking care of them proceeded to tell me off saying that she knew more and worked there for three years...Irritating petsmart/petland/walmart employee's. Tomorrow I'm doing a waterchange too. ^^

#6 ·
If at all possible, I would lower the temp in the tank...This can be helped by at least not keeping the filter on. They generate a good bit of heat. Also, keeping the filter off promotes fin-regrowth.

To dose the AQ its 1tsp/gallon. Using less is like taking half an asprin, it doesnt do anything :B

Change the water AT LEAST 50% each day and then 100% the next for one week-10days (max). Better yet, do a 100% change each day! After a 100%, redose the salt. Make sure its pre-dissolved before you put it in with the fish.

Good luck!

#7 ·
If at all possible, I would lower the temp in the tank...This can be helped by at least not keeping the filter on. They generate a good bit of heat. Also, keeping the filter off promotes fin-regrowth.

To dose the AQ its 1tsp/gallon. Using less is like taking half an asprin, it doesn't do anything :B

Change the water AT LEAST 50% each day and then 100% the next for one week-10days (max). Better yet, do a 100% change each day! After a 100%, redose the salt. Make sure its pre-dissolved before you put it in with the fish.

Good luck!
Yikes! Finrot seems more involved than when eddie had Ich/ick! Lol.
I will try my upmost hardest, the worst case scenario is that the fishie will go 2 days without a water change, (I wont be home on friday)

#11 ·
Yep. I agree that he does. Also, from experience .5 tsp/gallon works just as well as 1 tsp/gallon. I have a planted tank and brackish water is bad for the plants. Been pet sitting for my sister and his fins do just as well with half as they do with 1. It's all up to how you want to care for them. Salt upsets the bettas digestive system from what I've gathered so that's another reason I cut back.

#12 ·
Oh no! I used one teaspoon per gallon (he is in a temperary 2.5 gallon), I used prime to condition the water and I turned off the filter. He has ate some things but usually spits out food (but not right away, maybe a minute or two after he eats it). I dont have live plants just silk ones. Im worried! Will his fins grow back properly or all the way? :-(

#13 ·
Using .5tsp/gallon is like taking half an aspirin when you need two. I doesnt do anything, and you build up a tolerance to it.

1tsp/gallon is fine, dont be worried. And to be honest, I wouldnt use less than 1tsp/gallon, as it doesnt do enough.

If you have plants, I would just remove them or remove the fish for the time hes being healed.

Ive never heard of it upsetting their digestive system. It will, however, cause liver and intestinal damage when used for long periods of time, much like any "medicine" would when done too long. Thats why 10 days is usually recommended.

he'll be ok!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.