Betta Fish Forum banner

Is this a good filter?

1K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
I finally managed to get a free 10 gallon off of freecycle. Woo!

The guy that gave it to me also included a rather beat up filter but after messing around with it for some time I got it to work properly.

My question is this: It's an Aqua-Tech 5-15 gallon filter. Is this a good filter for a 10 gallon or should I buy a different one?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I use that one. It works pretty decently. Clean it out like crazy and buy a new cartridge (I replaced them with sponges) for it. And lucky you, getting a free 10 gallon!

#6 ·
Man, I should go join freecycle. Hmph.

I went to Petco/Petsmart. They each should hold some kind of sponge cartridge that is only a sponge and is used for other filters. You should be able to cut them down and shove a few of them in there. Any sponge bought from Petco/Petsmart should be fine!

#7 ·
open pore sponges.. the rough ones that are usually green. You can get a pack at the dollar store and they are perfectly safe for fish tanks (use 'em all the time).

For the filter I would make a bleach/ water solution (Very diluted) and take a toothbrush/bottle scrubber and scrub it thoroughly. Then I would run the filter (without a cartridge, etc) in a bucket of water mixed with vinegar just to be extra sure.

#9 ·
yup.. the sponges are better in fact. The carbon is pretty much just a marketing trick to get you to buy the cartridges. The carbon does absorb some stuff but it is only active for like a week or so, so you would spend a lot of money on the carbon when if you use the sponge it does a better job because beneficial bacteria can grow on it.

#10 ·
Go ahead and use carbon if you want, but I'm told you have to change them out monthly (although someone keeps them in no problem). I'm too paranoid to do that, and yes, just stick sponges in there. Mechanically filters, and also does wonders for biological filtration, as you can imagine. Just no "chemical filtration" (that would be carbon), but chem. filtration is hardly necessary.

#11 ·
I like the idea of not having to buy expensive filter cartridges. Haha, and I've heard some people only run their filters from, say 8am to 8pm, then shut it off at night. Should I do this or should I let it run all the time?

Also, xxabc is your filter the one that sucks the water up and then waterfalls it back into the tank? This doesn't disturb your betta does it?

#12 ·
It doesn't disturb him because the filter is very adjustable. The intake tube(?), or the curved black tube that looks like a candy cane.... when the filter is running you can pull this up and the flow will drastically decrease. You can pull it high enough so that it stops completely. So put it near minimum or however he likes it. He'll be fine. That's the main Pro of this filter.

And I leave mine on, as he doesn't sleep near the filter anyway.

#16 ·
Just wondering also with my filter, i recently got a new male CT and i am using my recently deceased goldfish's tank and filter, which my mum and i both thoroughly cleaned everything and put in new water and everything in for him. i'm just slightly worried the filter may be a bit too strong for him, as he's still quite small, my tank is about 2.3 gallons and i'm not sure of the specifics of the filter as i don't have the papers anymore, but it doesn't seem to be too powerful. just wondering whether this is okay for a young betta?

#17 ·
Well if you have to watch for it yourself. Is he getting pushed over, even slightly? Sometimes do you find him in a corner, opposite of the filter (mine has been doing this lately, and I found out I put the filter too strong. I fix it, minutes later he's out and about again). This probably screams "fix the filter.", unless he's just chillaxing.

#19 ·
By fix the filter he meant adjust the flow rate. Depending on the filter you can do many things to achieve a lower flow rate. On mine I can simply lift up the intake tube a few centimeters and the flow rate drops drastically. Then I would tie it or prop it in position so it would stay that way. However, other filters require more mechanical buffering (from what I understand) and this shouldn't be toooo difficult but I know nothing about it. There are plenty of people on this forum that do though. :) I would post your filter model and let someone explain how to adjust the flow rate. Provided the "life the intake tube" method doesn't work for you.

#20 ·
Yes, that's what I meant. (And I'm also a girl :) )

Some people stick sponges directly into the outflow of the filter. Some people stick sponges/filterfloss/pantyhose onto the tubing (where water is sucked in). Some people use a water bottle (cut). These are just few suggestions...I have the same filter as brancasterr, so I've never made one of these before.

#23 ·
:p hey quick question, I just added ammonia to my tank to start the cycle and now there are tons of tiny bubbles forming on the edges of my tank at the water line. I know there isn't any detergent in the ammonia because it's pure ammonia hydroxide diluted in water. Are the bubbles normal in a tank like this? (this is my first real tank ever, =o)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.