Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluval Spec II, III, V Owners Thread

196K views 750 replies 148 participants last post by  fernielou 
#1 ·
I'm loving my new Fluval Spec III. Just wanted a place for Spec owners to show off, share their problems, mods, thoughts, and experience with these amazing little all in one tanks. Calling out all Spec owners, where you at?!?!!! :-D

Attachments

See less See more
#642 ·
All set up and just waiting for Bruce to arrive from Thailand in a few days!

2.8 gallon fluval spec

The mod I did to reduce the flow strength:

And the surface skimmer to reduce bio-film and also discourage Bruce from resting against the intake grate:

And last but not least - Bruce...

#644 ·
oh my goodness, Bruce is beautiful. I had that same skimmer (did they send you a swedish fish in the box too? lol) and it didn't work for keeping my fish off the grate OR keeping the surface clear. I really hope it works for you! The weirdest thing is that the protein film in my tank didn't start developing until after I'd had the fish in it for a couple of months. My naive side is hoping it will eventually disappear. ha.

#647 · (Edited)
I'd like to know this information too..

..ah.. apologies on the sideways pictures.. mobile uploads..
This is my spec iii.. I have the specifics written in the tank album if you're so inclined..

This first picture was taken almost 3 weeks after initial set up, a few pond snails were roaming and I think was showing signs of copepods..

Next picture was taken today.. Current inhabitants are live plants, pond snails and a bunch of worms.. I think they are detritus worms?

Going to update my journal when I have more time..
I have a betta waiting for it to cycle..

Attachments

#648 ·
I'm loving this thread!!! I'm setting up my fluval spec V tomorrow for my EE and I know I'm gonna have to baffle the filter but I'm not sure how to any ideas?

#650 ·
Really, what are you looking for? Just tear off a tiny (pea-sized) piece of foam from the big block in the main filter area, and put it in the outflow nozzle (from the back, then stick it back in place). Tear off tiny pieces to adjust until you have the flow you want. Done.

#653 ·
Wow--I just discovered this thread.
I have a Spec III, two Spec Vs, and an Edge. I love them all.
I'll post the Edge as it's the newest tank and waiting for a gold hmpk from Thailand who gets here Wed.

I've tried slightly different mods with my different tanks. I've swapped out the charcoal cartridge for Purigen in all the tanks. I've got slightly hard water, so I have frog moss pads in the tops of all the filters as well. That actually dampens the flow from the head a bit and I also stuff some foam into it to dampen it a bit more. The Edge has an HOB so I've been experimenting with a bigger frog moss pad in a bag that's fixed into the spout to cut the flow a bit.
I've got two bare bottoms, one with white sand and caribsea substrate in the edge.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but will read it in bits and pieces to see what you all are doing with your tanks!

Here's the Edge and the new guy who's moving in soon.

Attachments

#655 ·
Hi! I'm very chuffed with my Fluvial Spec V for Jeffrey the VT. However, this morning he has a frayed top fin with an actual hole in it!

Every single tank decoration was checked for smoothness and I'm thinking it has to be the slatted top intake. I had pulled up the sponge from the filter to cover the back - perhaps that wasn't good enough? Anyone else have a similar experience or advice?

#656 ·
Been a few years since last tank (110gl) and decided to start again with a Betta nano set up. Fluval Spec V, fully modified and planted, still not happy with some plants yet. All cycled and shrimp should be here this week. Going to let them set up home for about a month before adding a Betta. Seen a few killer looking Betta's, but tank wasn't ready "cycled". Will post additional pics when time comes. Any comments/ideas, please let me know. Aquarium decor Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Plant

#658 ·
No doubt, was thinking of pulling the rock in favor of a moss covered chunk of bamboo/cave. Got more plantings that may also get added. Shrimp are all minimum of 1/2" in length and I've had that size with a Betta before without any issues. Usually a "hit or miss" period untill I get a decent balance.

#662 ·
its been a while since I updated the spec thread. XD so here I GO!

Here is my Spec

#664 ·
I just wanted to share with all the dedicated Betta enthusiasts on this thread what I believe to be is the 'absolutely perfect' heater for the Fluval Spec III.
After buying and trying some half a dozen heaters (with thermostats and with temperature preset with thermostats) I decided to stop wasting time and money on heaters that invariably always fell short on temperature control and performance.
THE ABSOLUTELY PERFECT HEATER THAT I ALLUDED TO IS THE 'COBALT NEO-THERM SUBMERSIBLE AQUARIUM HEATER' FROM COBALT AQUATICS.
It is electronic and the 50 watt model heats my Spec III tank perfectly to my set temperature of 80 degrees with virtually no variation whatsoever.
Granted it is a little more expensive than most heaters, but it is available on eBay and it fits absolutely perfectly into the pump compartment of the Fluval Spec III.

#666 ·
+Steven--I have highly suggested the Cobalt Neo Therm many times here and I completely agree. Yes, they are expensive but well worth it. I have over the past year or so changed out almost all of my heaters to these, with four tanks to go. The quality is exceptional. I prefer the fact that these hold up well and I do not have to spend money to replace defective heaters that give out. As an example, I purchased 4 Hydor 25 watt heaters, and all four malfunctioned within a year.
I want to give my bettas and other fish the best out there, even if I have to cut budget somewhere else to do so.

#667 ·
Perfect solution to the fluval spec return nozzle output issue

And, another important point to mention is that Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm heaters come with a 3 year warranty !!!!!

After much trial and error, and ripped fins, I have solved another PROBLEMATIC issue that we have all faced with our Fluval Spec's -controlling and regulating RETURN OUTPUT AND CURRENT from the output nozzle.
My simple and inexpensive solution, and it really does work absolutely perfectly, is to slip over the return output nozzle of the Fluval Spec, believe it or not, a Fluval Edge Prefilter Sponge and lock it into place with a thermometer.
It is really just that simple and really just that effective and perfect !!!!!

#669 · (Edited)
Here's mine! Fluval Spec V.

Inhabitants:
-1 Betta Splendens (male, veil-tail)
-2 Indian whisker shrimp

Plants:
-Java fern
-Some kind of crypt, I think?? Not exactly sure...

Gravel:
-Lots of it. Probably going to replace what I have soon with something darker and more neutral.

Etc:
-A piece of granite from somewhere in the San Gabriel Mountains
-A piece of driftwood

Modifications:
-Holes cut in the pump's output tube to reduce mass-flow rate of the filtered water.

Attachments

#671 · (Edited)
I purchased a Fluval Spec III for $43 recently for my one male, Taco. After reading reviews and suggestions for filter/tank mods I decided to rip out the partition in my tank and replace the filter system with a sponge filter system.

I am so happy with the results! Instead of 2.6 gallons, I can put a full 3 gallons into the tank. Additionally, I have fake plants plus to Anubias plants that Taco loooooves to rest in. I made this tank a Studio Ghibil themed tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.