Betta Fish Forum banner

Smoking Around Fish

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  I'm Betta Than U 
#1 ·
Another question: I'm a smoker. And I read that Betta can breathe atmospheric air. So by me smoking in the same room with them am I causing them to inhale second hand smoke? I mean it's my choice to smoke but I don't want my fish to suffer for it as well. I cherish these little guys. They were a birthday gift. I was shopping for kitten stuff which is another gift and stumbled upon these fish and my girlfriend asked if I wanted some. Now she's going crazy at how much I'm obsessed with them. Lol.

#2 ·
I seriously doubt whether there have been any scientific studies to prove it one way or another, but I also doubt that cigarette smoke is good for your fish. It's not just the fact that bettas breathe atmospheric air, you also have to consider that stuff in the smoke might end up in the water, which can't be a good thing. Fish might be much more prone to th effects of stuff in smoke than we are, as well.

#6 ·
I would definitely say that it is not beneficial to smoke in the same room as the bettas. Thats because, you're right, they can breath the air at the surface. So can other fish with a labyrinth organ, like gouramis. So it is important to keep the air around the tank clean as well.

#10 ·
I'd say that yes, it is bad for them. My aunt just bought a house from some smokers and she pained the ceiling 3 times because the nicotine kept stains kept bleeding through. Eventually she had to buy nicotine resistant paint. That's not really based on anything fishy but it gave me some sort of idea of how much that stuff really soaks into everything around it.

On the other hand, one of my best fishy friends, and a betta breeder, smokes like a chimney, cigarettes and plenty of other things as well. In fact, every time I walk into his house I have to take a minute to get used to the smoke. His bettas, and other fish (probably around 30 adults right now), have all been healthy and long lived, so go figure there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.