Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #1561 
Sylverlilly

Thanks :) just bought some aquatic wood it was labelled at petco today and made his bed. When I came to check on him tonight he was sound asleep in it. Awwww
Sylverlilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 AM   #1562 
FishyFishy89

Finally did something to Reuben's tank. Much better :)
Attached Images

FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #1563 
Abhinand

Here is my 11 gallon tank with jones, a male betta. I really want to buy or make a cave but dont know how to
Name:  IMG_20150113_142800.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20150119_182437.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  26.7 KB
Abhinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #1564 
Sylverlilly

That's a really cute tank! I like the house theme I havent seen that before
Sylverlilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #1565 
summersea

It has been a while since I've posted on here but I just set up a new 10g tank so - I'm back! lol

The new tank is a soil based NPT. I've got Mopani wood as the centerpiece (boiled it for 6 hours to release tannins and then let it dry out before placing it in the tank). I'm running a filter that had already cycled and includes purigen - I've had a lot of luck using Purigen on planted tanks with driftwood to help keep the water from getting too dark. I've also dosed excel to get the plants growing faster as the tank sits near a window and I don't want algae taking over before the plants have a chance to get established.

Plants include:
6 stems cabomba (at least I think it is cabomba - its a trimming from a member I got a year ago and pretty sure that's what it was lol)
6 stems rotala
1 anubias
2 java ferns
3 stems ludwigia
1 crypt wendtii red
1 stem scarlett temple
1 stem giant hygro
2 stems...of something that I can't remember
A bunch of floating frogbit

Here is hoping the tank cycles quickly as I have my eye on a boy at petco I saw last weekend....I am a betta addict and I freely admit it lol
Attached Images

summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #1566 
kman

Summersea, since you're doing a fishless cycle, are you adding ammonia to get the cycle started?
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #1567 
summersea

I am adding fish food to the tank...I figure between that and the ammonia leached from the organic soil, I should be set. Hopefully. Usually I set up a tank and let it sit for 4-6 weeks, checking ammonia levels (with just soil I get anywhere from 1ppm to 2ppms from the initial leaching). Once the ammonia is gone, all of my tanks have been so heavily planted that it goes through the "silent cycle". I never see nitrites or nitrates (or at least very few nitrates). Yay for plants!

I'm hoping the process is sped up this time using the fish food, excel, and filter from a previous tank. I really want that boy lol
Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #1568 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersea View Post
I am adding fish food to the tank...I figure between that and the ammonia leached from the organic soil, I should be set. Hopefully. Usually I set up a tank and let it sit for 4-6 weeks, checking ammonia levels (with just soil I get anywhere from 1ppm to 2ppms from the initial leaching). Once the ammonia is gone, all of my tanks have been so heavily planted that it goes through the "silent cycle". I never see nitrites or nitrates (or at least very few nitrates). Yay for plants!

I'm hoping the process is sped up this time using the fish food, excel, and filter from a previous tank. I really want that boy lol
Ah, yes, I missed that it's a dirted tank. Plenty of ammonia sources in soil, usually. Should be good... good luck! :)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #1569 
stetez

awsome tank
stetez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #1570 
summersea

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Ah, yes, I missed that it's a dirted tank. Plenty of ammonia sources in soil, usually. Should be good... good luck! :)
It's all good!! Though I checked my ammonia levels for the first time tonight since I set up the tank two days ago...it is showing the ammonia at 0ppm I was hoping that since the filter had been used in another tank for the past 4 weeks (and was showing as cycled in that tank) that the cycle would happen faster but am surprised it is already showing no ammonia! My tap water also has anywhere from 1-2ppm so i expected there to be some ammonia. It makes me suspicious lol

Stetez - Thanks! I was trying hard to make it visually appearing and less of a tossed together jungle like my other planted tanks have ended up lol

Tags
bettathanyou