Betta Fish Forum banner

Upgrading his tank.

549 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Canuck Fins 
#1 ·
As of right now, I have my MALE Betta in a .96 gallon tank. I've decided that he deserves a more roomy tank. For that reason, I'm going to purchase THIS five-gallon tank from Walmart.

There are a few things I'd like to sort out before purchasing it:
1. Should I purchase a heater / thermometer? If so, how do I know which to pick?

2. Should I use live or plastic plants? What are the pros and cons of each?

3. What other fish would be somewhat easy to take care of, and would get along well with him, in the tank?

#2 ·
1. Yes and yes :) I think a good adjustable 25W would be great for that tank.

2. Live plants can contribute to better water quality, so I would get some :D There are really easy ones such as Java Fern or Java Moss. Some plastic plants can tear fins.

3. No other fish can go in that tank, shrimps and snails only :)

#3 ·
Yes, you definitely need a heater and thermometer. Get a heater that you can adjust to the exact temp you want, such as this one. http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Temperature-Control_Heaters_Theo-Submersible-Heater_9633281_82.html?tc=fish I have the 25 watt for my 5 gallon, and I love it.
You should get a glass thermometer that sticks on the glass inside the tank, not one that sticks on the outside. This is a good one. http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Temperature-Control_Thermometers_Floating-Glass-Thermometer_8509441_82.html?tc=fish
Also, I'd choose silk plants since you're a beginner. Live plants can be a hassle, and plastic ones can rip your Betta's delicate fins.
You can't keep any other fish with a Betta in a 5 gallon. You need at least a 10 gallon for that. You could get some ghost shrimp after your tank cycles, and maybe a snail or two. Hope this was helpful! Good Luck. =)

#4 ·
I have that tank. I cycled my tank, added java fern x2/bacopa/aquatic wisteria and lastly my fish. I wanted live plants and a cycled tank so I wouldn't have to do as many water changes and I like the look of real plants. Live plants do help with ammonia levels as well. The one con of live plants I guess is that you have to be a little more careful when vacuuming around them so you don't pull up the roots; I have replanted the bacopa that I accidentally uprooted so it's not a huge deal.

The thermometer for the inside of the tank is very inexpensive and good to make sure you can monitor the temp consistently. Yes for a heater for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.