Betta Fish Forum banner

What keeps them happy:)

811 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  halfmoonbetta77 
#1 ·
really soon i will be purchasing a betta fish for the first time. being a beginner at this you can imagen I'm trying me best to take in as much info as possible. i have learned almost about everything there is about bettas such as where they come from, proper aquarium tanks, food, illness and treatments. I'm really excited and want to know a bit more about things you do with your bettas to keep them happy:) ( such as tricks, treats, or cool toys)

#2 ·
Hmm... I think my bettas seem happiest when I give them attention. I noticed that my VT perked up a LOT and very quickly when I moved him to a five gallon and gave him space to swim around, but they are curious creatures and love their attention (and food!).
My bettas always seem to like checking out any kind of foreign objects in their tanks, even my blind one. However, some of them don't like their decor being messed with and changed! It depends on their personalities, really. I'd say that most love attention, but there are a few shyer ones out there. It doesn't mean that they aren't curious, though.

Hope that helps :)

#3 ·
Plants (real or fake) and a cave of sorts.. something to keep them mentally stimulated when you aren't around. A good flare in a mirror once a day for a few minutes is also a good way to give them exercise.
These little ones are quite social for a solo fish - so being placed in an area in the house/your room where you tend to be at most of the time will give them something to watch. One of mine loves to watch as we play with our lab mix dog.. will follow the rope or bone being thrown in the air, etc lol.

#4 ·
Definitely attention.
Narcissus mopes when I don't pay enough attention to him.
Like, he literally has a fit and lays on the bottom of the tank playing dead so I'll rush over to check on him.
And once I reach the tank, he pops up and swims to me and does his wiggly dance.

Both him and Darling absolutely love swimming through their silk plants and on occasion play hide and seek with me, popping out from behind a leaf and when I take notice they hide and pop out from behind another one.

I've also discovered they go bananas over the evil red dot (laser light) invading their tank.

Pretty much as long as I visit them at least every 15 minutes, they stay happy and don't play dead.

#6 ·
I just noticed that when I had my AQ light on, he flares his gills @his own reflections on the side wall of the bow tank so I try not to turn on the light all the time. I put in a mug and he was pecking at the Monterey Bay AQ mug pictures, curious Fred

#7 ·
:) Good luck picking ONE lol They're so attractive and pretty, you want to take them all home!

My VT loves the anubias. I didn't think much of it when I switched his side of the divided tank, but I put him back on the side with anubias yesterday and today there is a HUGE chunky bubble nest. My combtail didn't love the plant that much, but he likes caves more- I built the driftwood into a cave with a terracotta pot for him.
Both swim through the floating salvinia and through their dangling roots. But mostly, they like to watch me.

#8 ·
There's some idea here that I haven't tried! Hmm..

It makes me sad that there are things I can't to with my CT since he's blind, but he does like when I play with him. I have to do things that cause water movement and vibration for him. I think he is a good example just because he does seem to like that attention. I think if I were a blind fish I would freak out at all foreign objects and random movements :p but he doesn't. They do need things that are interactive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.