Betta Fish Forum banner

No filter required tank mates.

4K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
I need some compatible fish/shrimp/frog/snail that can be compatible with a betta. But here is the catch. I don't have a filter in my 10. I want to make the tank look more alive other than just having Poseidon in there all alone. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Ramshorn snails are surface breathers so that might help, some of other types snails are too but not sure which, other than that though I'm not sure...

I am wondering the same thing though because one of my 10's is the same way, hopefully you get more replies soon!

#4 ·
it is possible to have tank mates without a filter. you will however need lots of plants.

i would suggest look into OFL's NPT sticky. these are basically near ecosystems that will process extra waste. aeration will be a problem if you stock to highly for livestock that take in oxygen from the water.

personally I think a filter makes the tank look alive. with plants waving in the current, it can be quite beautiful. I only have one betta in my tank, but I dont feel that it's empty" or "boring" because there are so many plants to look at! an airstone might do the same job but air pumps tend to be pretty noisy compared to an actual filter.

#18 ·
There are some filters that run very quietly and will help you have access to more fish, since most need a filter not only oxygenate the water, but also the filter will make the water safer by going through the ammonia cycle.
Is the noise of a filter a problem or the money? Some filters can be cheaply bought, yet are the best bang for your buck.

#22 ·
Well, see if there is someone on this forum that is close to your area, and find a filter (or pump with sponge and tubing) for really cheap! :) Otherwise a snail would work, or yes the use of live plants will definitely help with the fact you lack a pump AND makes the tank more... pretty.

#24 ·
Hm? Which part was that referring to? :p I find live plants liven up a tank really easy. And plus there are a good number of people on here who are willing to help out others especially if they are in the same area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.