Betta Fish Forum banner

what kind of snail?

1K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  prodrumernate 
#1 ·
just wondering what kind of snail would be good for my 10 gallon?cycle,filtered,and everything.already have a few fish in it including an oto,4 rosy red minnows.did have a betta in it but the rosy reds r fin nippers.

but i want a snail.tons of algae and my oto cant keep up.so i want to go with snails as well..i dont care of they breed a lot and fast.ill be happy with that.

i just read on pet store sites that the nerite,margarita,turbo,and nassarius snails are marine.though i know they need salt water to breed..

just not sure if they will work in my tank and what snails will actually breed in freshwater..

out of those nails including mystery snail...1 that is a good algae eater,will breed in freshwater?

#3 ·
thank you..i was hoping nerite snails would be a choice :) they are on sale.so its perfect

#5 ·
its tropical.but even without my heater in it,it stays tropical.rite now the inside of my apartment is 80 degrees F...so its warm in here.during the winter we dont even use a heater inside the apartment bcuz it doesnt get cold enough.

#6 ·
might want a heater to reduce temp changes remember never put assassin snails with any other snail because assassin snails are assassins.

#7 ·
i have a heater in it.its set at 78..it does get higher when the temp rises inside the apartment.but not by much.i surly wouldnt want to wake up to a dead snail.and i know they will stink badly also..i think ill go with the nerite.i like them and want to have them breed in my tank.

#13 ·
Keep in mind if you get a male & female, they WILL mate. They will produce eggs. The eggs just wont hatch unless in brackish or salt water, they need to be removed.

#9 ·
yes and ive got a place they can do that.i didnt want a snail that would over populate my tank..nerites are perfect.

#11 ·
A single apple snail was work bc they need both genders to breed.

If you have live stem plants though an apple snail will run them over. Floating plant s will survive.

#12 ·
Caution about Bertie breeding one of my local friends has cichlids and his nerites magically bred in freshwater now he has 50 snails.

Where there's a will there's a way!

#16 ·
i do have live plants and was hesitant on which to get.i so far have 2 mystery snails.1 is eating like crazy.the other seems to not wana come out of its shell.though it has made a little progress.if its not too lively ill take it back and get another.

i want nerite but im worried bout my plants.they just recovered from not enough light and are growing great now.after doing a little more research nerites will mate in freshwater but like Choclatebetta and teeneythebetta said they wont hatch in my tank.i have a place they could hatch.

i wasnt able to sex the mystery snails at the LPS but one that cam out i know is a male.the other im hoping is a female.but doesnt want to come out.even with the lights turned off.its been over 2 hours.and the little protective bottom shell is barely opened.alot more than before.but my other mystery snail is eating away on the glass where i have tons of diatom.its getting to the point i might have to manually clean.its everywhere..

but still debating on the nerite snail.id like 1.but just dont want my plants to disappear.

and i surly dont want like what BettaQi said having multiple snails which i know will happen anyways.but im prepared for it as well and will just give them away if too many.

#18 ·
ah ye..i may have to go grab a nerite :) i may take back 1 of the mystery snails since it doesnt seem too lively.the shells arent well maintained as they were just kept in the plant tank.the actual snail tank was empty to their surprise(petsmart).i have the lights off still and watching the snail but dont see any action from it.the girl said to bring it back if its not climbing on the walls.1 of them is.the other is playing opossum.seeing its tentacles move rarely.

im not sure how fast they become active though.i figured just a few minutes of being in a tank.

#19 ·
Sincerely remove the snail eggs even nerite bc my friend was also told the babies wouldn't survive, and now like I said 50 baby nerites in a cichlids tank.

He just laughed and shook his head!

#20 ·
i cant really tell if both of mine are male or female..i thought 1 was a male but not im not sure.the other 1 that was just laying there has been moving around eating the past couple hours.1 of them has ate a lot off the side of my tank.u can see teeth marks everywhere.

if they lay babies ill keep some.mystery snails can breed in my tank.its the right conditions.still debating on grabbing 1 nerite.but if i do see many eggs ill remove most.

#21 ·
My ramshorn has laid 4 sets of eggs in a week.

I need to get a q-tip and remove them or else...

#22 ·
i thought bout ramshorn.but chose not to get 1.hatch them and sell them...make some money back from when u got them :)

#23 ·
My science teacher managed to keep fiddler crabs in freshwater the salinity allowed Anarchis algae other plants and guppies with the salt for sick fish your friends cichlid tank might have been salty enough for the nerites and freshy enough for cichlids or they were not nerite snails i know guppies can live in high salinity.

#24 ·
i seriously thought about adding a little salt to the tank to get it to where the snails would breed so i didnt have to use my other tank.but im not sure how much salt the other fish in it can handle.and id rather have a seperate breeding tank

#26 ·
im sure i could find something online that would tell me exactly how much salt i need to do..but dont wana take the risk so ill go with separate tank.i have a 20 gallon long in storage.its actually for reptiles.i seen a water line in it.but can fill it about half way for breeding.im also trying to get some plate glass off of craigslist for free,i have silicon and can easily make a small breeding tank as well.

im rite now trying to figure out how to make a hood for my hex tank.i cant figure out how to do it or anything.no money.not much materials.the hardest part is the lighting.

but i do want to try to breed my snails.

#27 ·
I think you have to buy nerites that have been in salt water at the store if you want to put them in salt water...
I wonder if you could put them in your freshwater tank, and move the eggs to a salt/brackish tank to hatch, or if they must be layed in that type of water :S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.