Betta Fish Forum banner

New here!

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hi everyone...I previously kept a 10g freshwater aquarium for years, then stopped after my last fish died. Then got into saltwater aquariums back in 2008. I currently have a 125g fowlr (fish-only-with-live-rock) tank, and will probably upgrade it to a reef by the end of this year.

I always loved Bettas, and had a pair for 2 years. Knowing now what I've learned in saltwater, I realized that if I got another betta, I'd have to think about its habitat more closely. The pair I had were in large vases with plants, but were not heated nor filtered.

I thought I knew enough. But after I got a 1.5g cube w/ hob filter and led lights, my 11 year old daughter said she wanted one for her room. So she used her gift cards that she collected, and got the same set up. We also got each cube a mini-heater. Only after I read on this site about 2.5g did I realize I shot too small for tank size. I had already filled the tanks and put in a hidey hole decorations, plants, and sand, so I didn't think I could return the cubes for a larger one. I will set up the 10g but probably not for a while. I'll have to find a nice place to put it, plus get a stand.

For now, the 2 guys seem to be doing ok. Very active swimmers, very personable, always fluffy, and eat heartily. Both are also actively making their bubble nests even after they disappear with water changes. I've been doing 25-50% water changes every other day, and temp's been stable at 78F thanks to the mini heaters, and parameters are all 0 after the cycle. We're feeding them a mix of Hikari pellets, dried bloodworms, and I just got some frozen bloodworms as well. Feeding just a small amount (size of their eyeball as I've seen suggested).

Here's my crowntail, Squidworth (the first one is from when we first got him, and his cube was divided while my daughter's tank finished cycling):

My daughter's spadetail, Patrick:

(we took these when we first transferred him, so he's not as fluffy yet, but he's been doing great now)

I got rid of that hydor one. I didn't realize they don't have auto shut offs on them! Her tank at one point sored to 90F! So I took it out and replaced it with a regular cylinder heater, which shuts off automatically.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Welcome! Your fish are beautiful! :)
Also, 1.5g tanks are so terrible as long as they are maintained well. But! It's still really cool that they're getting an upgrade.

Another thing, keep an eye on your Spongebob house. A friend of mine had one, and eventually noticed paint chipping and rust showing from underneath. I did a little research and most of the Spongebob houses/figurines have the same problem and contain metal. However, I haven't had any problem with Squidward's house if you ever need a cool replacement!

Good luck with your betta keeping. You've made a good choice by joining this site!

#6 ·
Welcome! Your fish are beautiful! :)
Also, 1.5g tanks are so terrible as long as they are maintained well.
You mean they 'AREN'T' so terrible right?? LOL!!! Thanks for the Spongebob house warning!! I'll keep an eye on it. I'm not partial to putting in fake looking ornamental stuff, but she chose it. I did take a dremel to all the portals (including in my fake log) because they were jagged. Smoothed them out.

After investing hundreds of dollars in livestock for my saltwater tank, I don't take tank maintenance for granted. These nanos definitely get their regular water changes. As you can see, I chose to use black sand because I like seeing the uneaten food and poop LOL I siphon them out easily.

Taking decent pics of a fish that don't dash off at the sight of a camera (like my saltwater fish do!) is easy. Just make sure to shine the light right above the fish and take a pic w/o flash. It will take several shots before you get the right ones. But thanks for the compliment :)

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you....

Lots of different ways to keep, breed and rear fry successfully-its finding what works for you, your breeders (if you plan to breed) and what you have on hand....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response-We have lots of members ready and willing to help....(We encourage lots of questions so don't hesitate to ask by starting a new thread)

Enjoy your stay....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.