Betta Fish Forum banner

Is any salt at all okay? Also question about peat moss to lower pH

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hi,

First off, I'd like to give a huge thank you to this community, as my betta got pretty sick with ick and velvet when I first got him, and you guys literally helped me save his life. My words are not enough to express my gratitude. :thankyou:

So I have a few water quality related questions. First off let me say that my tap water is both pretty hard (close to 200 ppm straight out of the tap) and of a relatively high pH (fluctuates between 7.5 and 8.3)

I used to filter all the water through a Brita filter, and then add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for 5 gallons to add in anything crucial that may have been filtered out. However, I was told here that the practice of filtering the water, though it lowers the pH in my case, was potentially not so healthy for my betta, so I have stopped doing this, and am gradually adding in more and more tap water with each water change (dechlorinated first).

I was wondering if there is ever any benefit to adding aquarium salt regularly to the water. I have read here that too much salt for more than 2 weeks can harm the fish, but what about at a low level?

If you guys do add aquarium salt routinely, how much do you add?

The package for the aquarium salt I have says that it adds essential electrolytes or some such thing -- this sounds essential, no?

Also, since my tap water has a naturally high pH, I was thinking of using peat to bring it down, but I don't know how to use it. Do I put it in my filter behind the carbon (I have a Tetra Whisper filter that uses those carbon filled bags)?

Also I have peat as both peat moss and peat pucks, which one should I use? And how?

Lastly, the peat moss I have is sold as a gardening product, is this okay to use? I have never seen a pet store carry peat for aquarium use around here.

I am a bit concerned as ever since I have started switching my betta's water from filtered to more and more tap i see him swimming up to the surface and taking big gulps of air, opening his mouth really wide. He seems otherwise fine, so maybe it's nothing?

Thank you all for your help in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Aquarium salt is generally used for treating diseases like ich and fin-rot. If you use it regularly the fish is used to it and it won't have any effect.

#4 ·
A little bit of aquarium salt is good to use each time. Just don't put too much in. Follow the directions and you should be fine, some salts even act as a preventative for disease.

#5 ·
Long term use of aquarium salt (Sodium chloride) is not recommend or healthy for this species and by using non-therapeutic doses you risk resistant issues-your not preventing anything except for its usefulness as a treatment product.

Its a great product to use short term for treatment when used for the right reason, dosage and duration.

Your hard tap water is fine-this species has been domesticated and farm raised for so long that the harder water with high pH is tolerated and it has been said that it is even better for them as far as disease prevention.
This species adapts really well to our source water-I would keep doing what you are doing to continue getting him acclimated to 100% of your source water.....you don't need the peat.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.