Betta Fish Forum banner

The mysterious cloudy water

4K views 91 replies 7 participants last post by  royal 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!
I'm new to bettas keeping, and my water has been going cloudy right after I clean it. Why is this happening? Thanks:Molly:-D

#4 ·
I'm actually having a similar issue. The water isn't super cloudy, but I noticed a weird musky look this morning. On the other hand, I think Dovakiin built his first bubble nest around one of the plants!!! It has noticeably more bubbles than the rest! =D

How big is the tank? 20G
Is it filtered? Yes!!!
How long has it been set up? Today is the beginning of the fourth day (third day for the fish being in it).
What do you add to the water when doing a water change? Conditioner.
What all is in the tank? Faux plants, a log, my beta, and a bristle-whisker plecostomus.
Water tamp? 80 degrees F.

If you need any more info just ask! I'll be going to class soon, though, so I may not get a chance to answer until it's over.

#8 ·
I'm actually having a similar issue. The water isn't super cloudy, but I noticed a weird musky look this morning. On the other hand, I think Dovakiin built his first bubble nest around one of the plants!!! It has noticeably more bubbles than the rest! =D

How big is the tank? 20G
Is it filtered? Yes!!!
How long has it been set up? Today is the beginning of the fourth day (third day for the fish being in it).
What do you add to the water when doing a water change? Conditioner.
What all is in the tank? Faux plants, a log, my beta, and a bristle-whisker plecostomus.
Water tamp? 80 degrees F.

If you need any more info just ask! I'll be going to class soon, though, so I may not get a chance to answer until it's over.
Because your tank is pretty new its probably a bacterial bloom which happens in new tanks. IMO, if it hasn't been cloudy since the day you put everything in it then it's not from gravel. Are you testing your water & doing appropriate water changes since your tanks is not cycled? Have you read about doing a fish IN cycle?

#5 ·
Did you rinse the gravel? I had similar issues when I first set up my first few tanks, then I went back and rinsed all the gravel and everything that goes in first and my water has been crystal clear every time, and by rinsing i mean put in a colander and shaking it around under hot water for a good 5 minutes then doing it again.

#7 ·
Yeah it's like very fine dust and same with the filter pack it need to be pre-rinsed as well because of the fine "dust" that the filter itself won't filter out there are drops you can use to help but yeah its much easier to fix the problem vs treating it every time you do a water change and/or add a new filter pack.

#9 ·
@ shellieca:My tank is 1.5 litres I'm not sure how many gallons it is,no,it's not filtered, about a week,splendid betta water conditioner,my betta, a little rock cave, marbles (that's what I usebas pebbles),a fake plant,a shell, and a fake star fish, usually around 75 degrees farenheight. Thanks to everyone for their help!

#12 ·
Oh, that is VERY small, not even a 1/2g. I suggest getting a bigger tank preferably at least a 5g (18-19 litres) but if you cannot go that size at least a 2g (7.5 litre) will suffice. Because you have such a small volume of water extremely frequent water changes are needed & its even more important to clean out any uneaten food & wast daily.

#10 ·
@stone: yes, i did rinse everything in hot water before i put it in the tank. I am going to clean the tank today, and will give an update tmr.

#11 ·
@ kitty, im glad that my thread could help! I think that might solve my problem too!

#13 ·
Really? The person at the pet store said i only need to clean it once a week. I guess not then huh?

#16 ·
I have one more question, sorry. My fish has been really lazy lately. Is it because of the water? I bought a 1/2 gallon tank to put him in while im cleaning the tank.

#19 ·
Just put royal in that tank! Hes currently adapting. I will clean the larger one later today.
P.s. @ shellieca. The 1/2 gallon is smaller than my other normal tank. I looked at its box again and realised it says 15 litres not 1.5 ! Sorry for my typo. But now im wondering how frequently i should be cleaning it? Thanks.

#23 ·
I have a heater too,but my friend told me that it wasnt neccesary since i have a room heater. The 1/2 gallon is just for while im cleaning the 15 litre tank.

#25 ·
How do i take the food out of the water when it has sunk to the bottom?

#32 ·
Thank you! That really helped! I have my heater in my room on. Is that enough?

#33 ·
bettas need a temp of 76-82 with a preference of like 78-80 at least i think i have those numbers right but i know that anything below 75 is not good. the heater is almost always a must to keep the temp from fluctuating too much and stressing the fish out. also why you should have a thermometer in the tank.

#34 ·
Thank you so much! I have a thermometer, and will add heater tomorrow.

#35 ·
Would royal get stressed out if I redecorate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.