Betta Fish Forum banner

SIP Pascal

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Agility4fun 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I was faced with a hard, upsetting decision to either pray that Pascal would be able to pull through an unknown disease or to euthanize him.

I chose the latter of the two.

I purchased Pascal from my local Walmart on February 28th, 2013 and was immediately welcomed by his lack of appetite. I assumed it was merely stress from being in a new home, however I had purchased a Crowntail male from the same Walmart and it lived a short span of four days as it, along with others, had contracted Columnaris (which was undetected until the third night) and passed away so it was safe to say that I had my fair share in doubts.

I tried feeding Pascal a variety of food but he never touched it. I was amazed that his health didn't seem to deteriorate, but today everything changed. I was cleaning his water and poor Pascal couldn't swim correctly if he wanted to. He was practically jumping out of the water to get air, continuously sank to the bottom of the tank and would lay on his back, side, and couldn't even swim in a straight line.

Sadly I was informed that he'd be lucky to survive for another 3 days and was recommended to go ahead and euthanize him.

Well, needless to say, I'm definitely not purchasing anymore Betta from that Walmart. I don't know it it's a bad breeder/stock provider or the care Walmart "provides", but I haven't had a single lick of luck with them.

SIP Pascal.

Pink Tail Fish Organism Adaptation

^Note: He actually had a heater, decor, etc in his actual tank. That was just from the VERY first day of bringing him home.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry :(

Next time try frozen blood worms or brine shrimp if your betta won't eat after a week, and if that doesn't work you can also soak pellets in garlic guard.

#3 ·
I actually tried the bloodworms and he still refused.
I assume he was ill from the store as they continue to get new shipments every few days to a week and I'm pretty sure they don't sell out that fast. And I should've taken account that I've seen numerous fungal issues on other fish, dead fish, and/or lethargic fish as a poor sign, but there's always that small amount of hope that you can "save" one. -.-

#5 ·
Today I was faced with a hard, upsetting decision to either pray that Pascal would be able to pull through an unknown disease or to euthanize him.

I chose the latter of the two.

I purchased Pascal from my local Walmart on February 28th, 2013 and was immediately welcomed by his lack of appetite. I assumed it was merely stress from being in a new home, however I had purchased a Crowntail male from the same Walmart and it lived a short span of four days as it, along with others, had contracted Columnaris (which was undetected until the third night) and passed away so it was safe to say that I had my fair share in doubts.

I tried feeding Pascal a variety of food but he never touched it. I was amazed that his health didn't seem to deteriorate, but today everything changed. I was cleaning his water and poor Pascal couldn't swim correctly if he wanted to. He was practically jumping out of the water to get air, continuously sank to the bottom of the tank and would lay on his back, side, and couldn't even swim in a straight line.

Sadly I was informed that he'd be lucky to survive for another 3 days and was recommended to go ahead and euthanize him.

Well, needless to say, I'm definitely not purchasing anymore Betta from that Walmart. I don't know it it's a bad breeder/stock provider or the care Walmart "provides", but I haven't had a single lick of luck with them.

SIP Pascal.

^Note: He actually had a heater, decor, etc in his actual tank. That was just from the VERY first day of bringing him home.
So sorry to hear about Pascal. You sure did all you could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.