Betta Fish Forum banner

Is she really a he!? Help!

1K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  peachii 
#1 ·
So I recently moved my small betta sorority into their new 30 gallon tank. Just now I saw two of my "females" doing a circular dance and tangle up together. Then some eggs dropped. O.O That's what I'm assuming they are anyway...little white balls. I think my one female is male! But "he's" been living with the other 6 girls peacefully for almost 6 months now. I'm so confused!
I don't have any really recent pictures, but here's Twilight...

So...is my girl a boy??? Jeez.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you see a little white spot right underneath the chin area than Twilight is a girl. If not than Twilight is a boy. In the picture you presented I don't see a eggspot do theoretically Twilight is a male.

#4 ·
So I got a good look under Twilight and "she" is indeed a male. There is no sign of an eggspot whatsoever. So my question now is...can he stay with the females? o.o;; I mean, he's been with them for 6 months and I haven't had any problems. Or is it best to separate him? He was my favorite female!!! LOL!

#13 ·
Ok I'm going to go ahead and step in here since frankly, you have been given a lot of misinformation. Twilight is a boy. 100% sure. This is obvious when he is mating. He really should be separated from the rest of the girls, no matter how peaceful they may seem. Especially after mating, he will be very aggressive and unpredictable... If he sees a girl as a threat to his eggs he will attack her, and likely kill her. Egg spots are not a reliable sexing method... I have girls that don't have them and boys that do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.