Betta Fish Forum banner

What to look for in show fish?

6K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  Mahsfish 
#1 ·
If someone could either give me a rundown of betta breed/types and what to look for in selective breeding/showing as far as.. err.. fish conformation goes, that would be much appreciated! Either that, or could we have an informative sticky or something? For us novices just stepping into the wonderful world of betta showing. :roll:

Much thanks!

#2 ·
If you're talking about IBC "standard" show then as far as I know, each tail types have somewhat different details "rules" so if you're looking for details, I suggest you contact IBC judge/s in your area ( or any you can "reach" ), but I think there are some "basic/common" criteria like :
1. Good health, no defects like for eq. : blind, missing fin/s, missing scale/s, body deformities etc.
2. Size, males minimum body size : 1,5 ", females : 1,25 "
3. Good proportion ( for eq. balanced body and fins size )
4. "correct" deportment, flaring at the "opponent/s"

#3 ·
Honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about lol. I was going through a few threads and saw some people discussing tail size vs. ray thickness and number and all this stuff, it just kind of made my head spin with curiosity. I realize there's no way to put that in a nutshell, which is why I'm hoping an expert would want to make a long sticky about it, for the curious newbies out there like myself. ;-)

#5 ·
Thanks so much! ^.^ Maybe one day I'll be knowledgeable enough to make my own sticky on it, lol!

#7 ·
Thanks! Wish I could take credit for it, but it was a google find. =P

#9 ·
Have you visited the link above? u can find some useful info there :), but answering your questions in general, Dorsal fin, ideally, should be wide, spreaded nicely, and if possible, all the rays in it are well balanced, no bended or broken rays. And in proportionate size with the caudal and anal fins. As about top line, Ideally, the top line should "curved" smooth with the "highest" part is somewhere "above" the fish belly. Here's an example of a female with what I think as quite "ideal" topline.

Hope that helps you a bit :)

#10 ·
Yes I did try visiting the link. It was helpful but did answer all my questions. Thanks for the picture helps me understand the top line better. Also I know that the anal shouldn't extend past the bottom of the cadual, correct? But then also something about the slope of it. Does this mean the front and back of the anal fin should be equal lenght?

#17 ·
I'm not really sure yet. The father did have some extensive branching but not too bad. That's why he was bred. The last ones fins were normal before I bought him. The seller said they just grew like that. But I believe it is just damage as some fins webbing is like that but then parts are different. I think it will grow back

#18 ·
I reeeeeally like the last one. =]

#20 ·
Oh man, every time I see his posts, his bettas on his avatars make my jaw drop... He has some truly awesome bettas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.