Betta Fish Forum banner

New Betta Owner!

1K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  missketie 
#1 ·
I got a Half Moon Betta from a pet store the other day. It's a really pretty blue one. It's my very first Betta and I got it because I'm not allowed to have big pets in my apartment. Anyway...

He's in a 1 gallon tank and I have some small aquarium stones and real plants inside because I heard they need it to hide when they go to sleep. I've been reading up on how to do water changes for when I need to do it next week.

But I still have a few questions like:

1. Do I still need a filter if I change the water every week? I've read conflicting articles about this, some people say yes, some people say no. But what is ideal?
  2. Is it normal for him to hangout in one place? Sometimes I see him just floating by the plants for a long time, then he swims back up to breathe. I assume he gets tired swimming around all day, but I want to make sure if this is normal behavior?
  3. Why is he making bubbles?
  4. What do their poop look like? :lol: I had a goldfish before and it made a string of poop that would float on top and I'd just scoop it up to keep the tank clean. LOL. But I haven't seen my Betta poop yet, so I don't know what to look for and I don't want it to contaminate the water.
Any help would be cool. Thanks! :):cool::wave:

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, bettas can be sluggish if kept at colder temperatures, as you described. Not only that but colder water weakens their immune system and makes way for secondary diseases like ick, sometimes resulting in death. And ofcourse, since that water pollutes quickly in a smaller bowl so you'll have to make more water changes.

The bubbles youre seeing are bubblenests. Bettas make them when they want to breed and/or mark their territory.

Well, it depends on what they ate. My old bettas poop was spiraled

#4 · (Edited)
1. It is recommended not to have a filter in your size tank because the current may be too strong and will keep your betta from swimming properly. So I would say no, due to the size of the tank. Make sure to change all the water once a week, remembering to add conditioner.

2. Since you just got it, it seems like it is still adjusting to the tank. This usually takes a couple days. It could also mean that the water is too cold, which can lead to a whole stack of diseases and other issues, sometimes death.
It can be normal behaviour but most betta should be swimming excitedly at you when it starts to acknowledge you with feeding time.

3. The bubbles that they make are called 'Bubble Nest'. They usually make this to show that they may want to breed. This is also a good indication of its health and stress levels. Bubble Nest = Good (the bigger, the better).

4. Their poop is usually the colour brown, if you feed it pellets. Looking at the colour of their poop can indicate if its healthy or not. For example, white poop can mean they have internal parasites.

So it is recommended:
You should do a full water change at least once a week. I would say try to get a larger tank for the betta and get a heater, a filter is not needed. Feed him pellets because it is easier to portion the amounts and will be easier for you to maintain. Flakes and stuff usually fall to the bottom of the tank and if left there, can increase the level of ammonia, which is dangerous to your fish, but again, water changes can fix that.

Hope this helps you out. Much more information can be found in other threads, such as information on different diseases bettas can catch etc.

Note: I'm just speaking from my experience, chances are that I have left out many important things.

:-D

#5 ·
Hello and Welcome to the forum, and yes, I agree with the previous posts, it is very important for your betta to have ample swim room, they tend to look bored, and tired, because they are..if they have no room to swim, first and foremost, try to upgrade his tank size, and definately include a heater, they need a (heated pool) for optimum health, and a quality diet with a pellet specifically for bettas, thier nutritional needs are very important to ensure health and happiness. also If you haven't already it is best to get some real plants, and or silk plant combination, plastic is ok, as long as it passes the "Panty hose test" meaning to run a pair of pantyhose across the plants, if it snags the hose, it will rip your bettas fins..
Your betta sounds very pretty..Post some pix when you can..looking fowared to seeing your new family member.. and always remember to add your water conditioner, to the water when changing

..and no you only need a filter for a 5 gal and up size tank, even for a 5 I don't use one, but you could if you want to try.. if you upgrade to a 3-5 gal size an Air stone would be much better to provide the oxygen that will keep the water from getting stagnant, and slimy..:)

#6 ·
Oh, and also get a themometer to watch for temp flucuations, best temp for a bettas health is 78 degrees..77-79 is ok, I have even seen our Sammy;s 5 gal reach 80 and he is fine..again depending on the size tank, you do not want your 1 gal to reach 80d so you do need a thermometer..

#7 ·
you do not want your 1 gal to reach 80d so you do need a thermometer..
I've asked this question a couple times in various posts and gotten no answers... is above 80 degrees too hot? Fishie's average water temp over the past few days has been about 82. It was up to 85 one day after a water change, but went back down pretty quick. He seems totally fine- very active, but I need to know if I should be turning on the A/C in my apartment for my fish, because I rarely use it for myself. lol

#8 ·
I would use the A/c periodically..in a sm apt, or since where your fishy is in a smaller container, bowl, if you have a thermometer and the temp is reaching 85 it will be dangerous..and yes should be 78 ~if he is doing ok at 85, I am surprized, but it won't be for long, try to monitor it, and keep around 78-80, only use A/c for about an hr at a time, and keep an eye on temp..:)

#11 ·
ok, so if it's reached 85, and he's ok, that is good, maybe cause it went down pretty quick, but 78-80 is the optimum temp for that size..my Sapphire's tank is about 82 on a reg now..but he is in a 3 gal..and he seems to be loving it, he opens his ventrals all the way, and our Sammy is in a 5 gal with about the same, I don't have a/c in our l/r..so it tends to raise the temp a lil --seems 80 would be ok, even for a 1 gal, but try not to go over that..

#12 ·
Yay! He's been swimming more energetically today than he was the last couple of days. I think he's finally getting used to his new home. I've only had him for 4 days.

I'm so glad to know that the bubbles are a good sign. I didn't know what it was the first time and I didn't know what to think of it.

I fed him pellets earlier and he doesn't swim away anymore so I think he's warming up to me. The first time, he would hide behind the plants and wait a while before eating. I also saw him poop and it is a dark brown. So I guess he's pretty healthy.

I don't know when I can get a bigger tank though, I'm gonna have to find a bigger space in my room. Right now he's in a shelf beside my TV so I can watch him during commercials. LOL. I hope he's okay in there for a few more weeks. And, I also have to get a heater and thermometer.

Thanks so much for all the info. I really appreciate it. And thanks to everyone who replied. :D

#15 ·
as for the one gallon... i think its fine as long as u monitor temp and are vigilant with water changes... i hve 2 bettas one in a 1.7g and one in a 5.5g and they both have the same energy level/ swim level.. the one in the bigger tank isnt zipping around acting like "omg thanks for the room" he usually just sleeps... as for the plakats and female bettas they swim faster and NEED more room than the ones with long fins so i think its ok for the halfmoons... others will disagree bec its harder to manage temp and its easy for the ammonia to build up... but like i said... if you keep up with water changes it could be fine... and keep in mind that even if the temp is ok now... it wont be for winter... i will prolly need to get a heater for winter ... right now my 5.5g is at 82 and my 1.7 is 78 degrees... My tank was at 85 degrees for a couple days and i think my betta preferred it haha

#20 ·
So since I have a small tank, should I change the water twice a week or just keep with the weekly changes? I don't want to stress the fish out, but I don't want him to get cold or live in ammonia filled water. :|

I can't go to the pet store til tomorrow so I'm not sure about its current water temperature. He doesn't seem to be lethargic so maybe he's still ok?

#22 ·
To be on the safe side, change 50% 2-3x a week, then your 100% is the best way to go..here is a link I found for you to help you figure out what type of tail your fishy has

[URL]http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/[/URL]
When you do your 50% you don't have to take him out, just cup out a lil at a time, only when you do the full water change, you will need to take him out..and re-accliminate him back to the new water slowly..if you have a (cupcake liner plastic cup) they are perfect for cupping fish..take your time, and let him go in, be patient, if you tilt the cup a lil to the side, after taking out half the water, makes it easier..;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.