Betta Fish Forum banner

Good Walmart Employee

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Bambi 
#1 ·
Today I went to Walmart to get some more plastic plants for my betta Frost's new tank (5.5 gallon). Someone there had picked up a 0.5 gallon tank that was marketed for bettas. She wanted to get some goldfish for her sons. Another customer suggested she get two bettas because you can't kill them. His lived for seven months. (Not the best fish keepers these two were). The Walmart employee told the lady that she couldn't really keep anything in that size tank but a betta could technically live their with daily water changers. The employee eventually agreed to get the lady one goldfish telling her that it would die very soon but she wouldn't sell her two (or the five she wanted) since it was morally and ethically wrong. The customer was furious but I don't think she ever ended up getting two goldfish.

Anyone have any good Walmart stories?

#2 ·
When I picked up my 0.5g long tank for Kris, the cashier looked at the box and gave me the stink eye. She said "You know these are cruel right?" and I said "Not for what I'm doing with it" so she asked me to explain. I told her I have a sick Betta that can't leave the top of the water, so I needed a long tank that I could make shallow but give him enough room to move around. She nearly teared up, she apologized and thanked me for being such a wonderful Betta Mom :) Our WalMart doesn't sell fish though, if it did, I'd be working there.

#5 ·
Kinda good I guess

I went into a Walmart (one of my more favorite ones)... they DO sell fish there, but they keep everything nice and clean and fed
while looking at the bettas (I couldnt help it!) a woman and her daughter started looking at the fish.... they kept complaining that there were no employees so I asked them what they needed help with
The lady told me that she had a 10 gallon and NO idea had to stock it... so I gave her a few ideas and a few precautions... one of the ideas was a female sorority and the other was a male with a few community fish while I was talking, an employee popped up, the lady ended up just getting a solo male...
but right after (I was still looking at some of the bettas)
apparently someone had one of the small "goldfish" bowls and a betta, when the employee saw that, she had the guy come over to talk to an expert...

Lmao... nothing wrong in admitting you know nothing, but I have never seen someone so eager to listen as the employee when I was telling proper betta care :)

#6 ·
When I was in Pet's Paradise in the city (it's the Australian equivalent of Petco or Petsmart, I suppose), I was surprised and delighted. Usually PP is terrible, but this one corrected the betta care sheet when I mentioned the temperature is showed was wrong, and put some hiding spots in for the mice when I said there was nowhere for them to hide (an exposed mouse is a stressed mouse).
Sadly, that branch has since closed down, and the other branches are not good.

#7 ·
the guys at the pet store i go to are pretty good. :V they give me slight discounts(CTs for Veil price, or made the deal with me that if i could find the HM, who turned out to be my Delta, Dante, i could have him for Veil price), and order me whatever i want(like when i wanted a new girl, i asked them if they had any left. they said no, but wrote down that they wanted extra females next order. :B). they never push the 'betta tanks' on customers, and the one guy and i chatted to this lady about goldfish needs. he admitted that they needed huge tanks. :3

#8 ·
Overall my Walmart here in Oklahoma does pretty good the guy who i normally see that works there does a good job of feeding and removing the dead fish constantly :( poor fishy. I have not seen a dead betta on the shelves so what i see he does a good job! I wish every Walmart was more like this though.

#9 ·
When our walmart used to sell fish, my manager was the manager for the fish section. And she made sure, to inform people of what she knew (goldies in a "goldfish bowl" is stupid, and a waste of time and money) and made sure the employees knew what they were doing. She'd never leave dead fish in the tanks, any sick fish were pulled and treated...

If only the trucks were not refridgerated :| they'd still be selling fish, if it weren't for the bad...shipping...methods...

#10 ·
yea.. our fish shipment comes in on wednesday. if i am looking at getting more fish i try to get them on wed. or thurs. It is really convienent for our walmart to have a fish section b/c our city isnt big enough to have a petco or petsmart.

#11 ·
I don't even have a petco/petsmart :/ it's in the city lol. So, since Ralph's Pet Store (-sad-) retired, it left us with the GRRR pet store :lol: people are tired of sick bettas. I've watched a decline in the betta sales, in the last 2 months. Why would a person want to buy a "healthy" fish and ends up it dies a week later? That's what one of my betta adopters said lol

#13 ·
I know x.x thus, here in my area I am going to have the Spartan Betta Rescue Program. Seeing how thrilled and fast people were to jump onto the chance of adopting healthy rescues... I think it is worth a shot.

if it doesn't work I'll just be the crazy fish lady hiding in her room with a computer and walls of fish >.>

#14 ·
Well..I have had one tell my to carry my betta OVER the theft detection thing because the radiation would kill my fish...Nice to know she cared and all, even if it' never been an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.