Betta Fish Forum banner

New Betta Mom

900 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Maddybelle 
#1 ·
Hi There! I am new to Bettas and new to this site, so forgive me if I post in the wrong place. I just got a baby Betta, Charlie, from a petco and have just been reading up on proper care. Im wondering about the sex and age of my Betta. Ive seen some pictures on this site and others of juvi Bettas and I feel like mine is rather small and bland. Im not sure at what age they would be sold at a pet store. Charlie is rather plain looking, kind of grey/brown and only about an inch long. This fish has the attitude of a 'classic' male, but fins and color are more female type so far. At what age would color start to show? I'm a little worried about how young it is. Any tips are welcome, as I am new at this and hope to be successful. thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
A picture is worth a thousand words as it really helps us - especially the fins! But it sounds like your guy may be pretty young indeed, or simply really in need of a good home, thus you have him.

Did you just get him today? It may take a few days for him to color-up if he's over two-months. Unfortunately I've never owned anything less than 6-months (mature) so I really can't help beyond that.

I wish you luck tho!

Edit:: Just realized he's in your display pic -- I think it could be either male or female yet, but the age...maybe two? A warm tank that's clean and places to hide plus food he can eat/likes will help him color up in a little while. If he's swimming fine and eating I imagine he's perfectly alright.

Welcome again!

#3 ·
Yes, He's my display pic. not sure why a pic didnt post. Charlie's been here two days and seems really happy. eats well, swims a lot, and will even 'dance' and 'play' if I sit by the tank. Right now s/he's in a small bowl, I thought the big tank would stress it out. I guess as long as Charlie seems happy and swimming we are doing ok. thanks for your reply!

#4 ·
No problem - just make sure to keep up with water changes and keep a close eye ont he temperature in his/her bowl. Like I said, haven't owned a baby betta yet, but I'd try him in a 1 gallon at least - that way you can fit a heater and ammonia won't build up terribly fast (still, keep up with water changes).

#7 ·
Try taking a pic with the lens completely against the glass and with the flash on...you can usually see some color/iridescence that way. Your baby looks like a female.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.