Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 
crowntaillove

killing off potential diseases in an old tank

I'm trying to clean Hank's tank out. I believe his death was related to fungus and parasites. I've done a 100% water change and filled the tank up with untreated water (thinking that the chlorine would kill anything lurking in there.) I've let it sit there for a few days. I'm about to empty it, and let it sit completely dry (thinking that diseases can't live outside of water) Do you think this method will work?
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #2 
madyotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
I'm trying to clean Hank's tank out. I believe his death was related to fungus and parasites. I've done a 100% water change and filled the tank up with untreated water (thinking that the chlorine would kill anything lurking in there.) I've let it sit there for a few days. I'm about to empty it, and let it sit completely dry (thinking that diseases can't live outside of water) Do you think this method will work?
will it work i can't say for sure

but you actually don't need to be to fussy all most always emptying the tank and cleaning filters in tap water will do it but i would never do this myself or recommend this

the best thing i can suggest 100% proven track record leave original tank water in and add LOTS of sea salt

then drain tank and wash gravel and refill job done
madyotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #3 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by madyotto View Post
will it work i can't say for sure

but you actually don't need to be to fussy all most always emptying the tank and cleaning filters in tap water will do it but i would never do this myself or recommend this

the best thing i can suggest 100% proven track record leave original tank water in and add LOTS of sea salt

then drain tank and wash gravel and refill job done
it's a bare tank with no filter which is why I did that. Since I've already had it empty, should I fill it up and add sea salt (aquarium salt is the same thing, right?) or should I be okay?
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

If it were me, and since it's a bare tank - I would wash it well with a diluted bleach solution (5-1 water to bleach).

Rinse rinse rinse rinse and then rinse again a few more times with conditioned water to remove any possible traces of chlorine.

I do tend to be overly cautious :0
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #5 
madyotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
it's a bare tank with no filter which is why I did that. Since I've already had it empty, should I fill it up and add sea salt (aquarium salt is the same thing, right?) or should I be okay?
empty and bare well just wash it with strong salt solution (as much as will dissolve in hot water) then rinse it out and fill
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #6 
broncosfan84

How much is "lots"? I'm needing to clean out a 20 Long and would like to make sure Spike will be alright. :)
broncosfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #7 
madyotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosfan84 View Post
How much is "lots"? I'm needing to clean out a 20 Long and would like to make sure Spike will be alright. :)
wash it with strong salt solution (as much as will readily dissolve in hot water)
:D
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #8 
PitGurl

I use bleach to clean my empty tanks. I just rinse well and let the dechlorinator take care of the rest.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote