Betta Fish Forum banner

Walmart = Evil

5K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  rubinthebetta 
#1 ·
Just the other day I was going to Walmart to pick up some tank decor and when I stopped to take a look at the Bettas one of them was DEAD! I mean so dead that it looks like he was dead for at least 3 days. He was even decomposing! So what does that say about the employees of Walmart.. It says they they probably either didn't care they had a fish or they haven't fed the fish or even glanced at them at all... I believe it was both.. But that is horrible.. He was such a beautiful Betta. I am never shopping at Walmart for pet supplies ever again! :cry:

#2 ·
:[ My new betta just came from Walmart and He has ich and fin rot but He looks so happy...:[ Agh I hate most walmarts too....:BIGweepy:

#4 ·
Yup! That's the condition you see bettas at most stores unfortunately.
Even Petco which brings beautiful bettas over here will restock their betta wall without even looking to see if they need to throw away any dead ones.
Whenever I find dead bettas at stores, I move them to the front of the shelf since I can never find an employee.

#6 ·
At my local petco I reported to an employee about four dead Bettas. One of my local Walmart stopped carrying fish, and another has an older man who takes care of the fish, but on his days off the tanks go back to being awful.

#7 ·
I'm going on a rescue mission to Wal-Mart tonight, TINY red CT that I fell in love with a few days ago. Hoping he's still there... and alive... COMING WITH ME. like I said in a previous thread, HE'S MINE. At least I hope so. I have yet to see any dead bettas at our south lincoln wal-mart, but i've seen some very sick ones, as well as other species floating dead in their tanks.

#9 ·
I went to walmart yesterday and one was almost dead and the others were in nasty water.

#10 ·
Went to walmart the other day. found 6 dead! :evil: And 4 of them were decaying and falling apart! looks like they have been dead for at least a week!

#11 ·
Walmart IS evil. I don't blame the workers for not having the time nor energy to look after the fish. Walmart overworked and mistreated their employees before the current recession and I bet now they have skeleton crews working themselves to death, just a lot of other companies with greedy employers taking advantage of an employer's market. I just don't buy from Walmart, period.

#12 ·
I've said it before but I'll say it again. If you disagree with how a Wal-mart treats its fish DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Obviously not all wal-marts mistreat their fish which goes to show that it is not a corporate issue, its a matter of management. Management does not like when corporate gets in their business so the best thing to do first is to find the manager of the entire store tell him/her that you are disgusted with the conditions of the fish and if they don't improve you will be reporting the store to Walmart inc.

Don't be overly emotional, just state your opinion and back it up with facts. Be able to say how many dead fish you saw, what tanks/cups they were in, how many fish were thin, sick, in dirty water, etc. Also write down the date and time when you saw all this because if the store manager does nothing you as a consumer have a right to go to corporate and express your concerns.

This has been done successfully before and can be done again if you do it correctly, looking at it from a business and consumer ethics standpoint and not an animal rights standpoint because no one in the corporate circle gives a crap about 35c fish dieing they care about making money. You have to show them that mistreatment of fish will cause them to loose money AND bring unwanted attention (a.k.a MEDIA).

#13 ·
Looks like someone got to management before I did, since tonight the fish at my wal-mart looked great! It looks like one had a tail-biting problem but other than that... wow. I was really happy to see what I saw. I was expecting to get pretty angry with their conditions, but I was pleasantly surprised. :)

#16 ·
Were they the same bettas or new ones? If it was a new shipment then you should keep your eyes out for changes. If these are new and they start to deteriorate you can start documenting their health as time goes by and then you can report it to management as stated earlier.

Hope things get better at your walmart. =]

#14 ·
I want to get a job at wal mart just so i can keep the fish alive and know that they arent rotting away in a miserable cup :(( the walmart i live near isnt too bad about keeping the jars clean, but they could do a lot better.

#15 ·
I've never been to a Wal*Mart that carried bettas, but they sound pretty horrible from what I've heard on this site. The worst I've seen a Pet Store treat their bettas was the PetSmart near my aunt's house..Second worst being a LFS also by my aunt's house. Surprisingly, their bigger tanks with species other than bettas were crystal clean and all the fish were healthy. However, they kept some of their bettas in TINY containers. I swear I saw one that was in something akin to a candy dish..Hardly any water. I wanted to say something but didn't have a chance because my mom was yelling at me to hurry up. I certainly will next time if their conditions haven't changed.

#20 ·
I've said it before but I'll say it again. If you disagree with how a Wal-mart treats its fish DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
the every other 'death to walmart' posts are getting kind of annoying (no offence guys) but really there are about 800 of them that say the exact same thing. We all know how bad walmart treats their fish, so theres no need to keep submitting post after post.
However, if there were like 7 bettas in a cup in the noodle aisle then thats kind of post worthy :p

#26 ·
The thing is with WalMart, the person in charge of pets ends up getting stolen away for various other departments and duties because WalMart's cheap. They get stuck in Lawn and Garden, Housewares, emptying trucks, and all sorts of things. So they never really get to take proper care of the fish in a lot of stores.

#27 · (Edited)
my betta, riley, was from walmart. he's the crowntail in the picture. i didn't think he'd live very long since he was from walmart, but i'll have had him for six months on thursday. walmart shouldn't sell bettas if they aren't going to properly care for them!!!!! a cup of water as small as they sell the bettas in would need to be changed EVERY DAY. i highly doubt it gets changed twice a week! >:-[

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.