Betta Fish Forum banner

Any Other Reptile Lovers?

5K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Artemis 
#1 ·
I know there can be a big misconception towards reptiles but I have to admit I am an avid fan. I am a proud momma of a beautiful little albino rosy boa. She was the first snake I handled when I visited a friend at their reptile hobby shop and I just couldn't put her back. She is so gentle and sweet and docile, haven't had a bite from her (yet).

Here is her picture. She is still small, I bought her as a baby and her name is Sophia. Any other reptile lovers here? I am looking into getting a few geckos or maybe a bearded dragon in a few weeks once I move :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sophia is SUCH a beauty!!
I'm a reptile fan also, but the closest thing I can have right now are my frogs, one of whom is of questionable intelligence. lol

A close friend of ours breeds ball pythons, and we're hoping to get one after we move, or a monitor.

#3 ·
ive always loved reptiles, mostly snakes though i dont discriminate. its been 15 months since ive owned my first reptiles, a crested gecko. i fell in live with thier smile and appearnce and decided to get one moments after handling one in a store. i did the research and had the time/space for one and i havent regretted it once. i also love pet reptiles or any other pet that doesnt require 24/7 companionship as it fits my schedule better. im glad my gecko is relatively calm and doesnt freak out wheni go to pick him up. he does escape me when he sees an exit from my hands as i try to pick him up.

id love to get a pet snake but i just dont have the space.

#4 ·
I love reptiles too :) I have a turtle and lizard, beautiful snake you have there! :)

#8 ·
Thanks Skyewillow and ThePearlFish! She is a pretty little girl.

And believe it or not, snakes don't take up nearly as much room as most people think depending on what species you get, Nel3. Some species of snakes don't require hardly any space at all and are perfectly comfortable burying under their substrate rather than stretching out like others.

MattsBettas, 25??? That is crazy, I had no idea geckos could live that long :O Learn something new every day.

#14 ·
Thanks Skyewillow and ThePearlFish! She is a pretty little girl.

And believe it or not, snakes don't take up nearly as much room as most people think depending on what species you get, Nel3. Some species of snakes don't require hardly any space at all and are perfectly comfortable burying under their substrate rather than stretching out like others.

MattsBettas, 25??? That is crazy, I had no idea geckos could live that long :O Learn something new every day.
i know some reptiles dont require much space but i literally have no space for a tank. my 5th betta in a 3.4gKK is sitting on my dining table and i cant even put another +2.5g tank anywhere (the floor is not ideal but free space is a premium.) id love to get a corn snake but cant even accomodate a 10g, much less 20g tank.

#11 ·
Sophia is adorable! Rosies are really cool snakes :)

I'm a huge herp fan - primarily boids at the moment, although I have some experience with fire-bellied toads, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, iguanas, and corn snakes. I currently have an Argentine boa constrictor (who I'd totally post a picture of, but she's a tad bit camera shy and the only time I can get a good picture seems to be at feeding time) and a ball/royal python. They're my babies... lol When I graduate, I'll probably end up being that crazy lady who has all the fish and giant snakes that never leaves her house.

#15 · (Edited)
I love reptiles, I have 3 snakes that I bought and one that a friend gave me because she couldn't take him. 4 snakes is a lot to handle, so until I'm working again I'm having my BFF is fostering Alucard so I have on less mouth to feed every week. I call them my secret pets, because only my sister knows I have them.

Daenery's was the first snake I bought. She is a beautiful female Graziani pastel. I got her from a breeder up north who was getting out of ball pythons. I had been looking into getting another ball python, as working at petsmart make me really miss my previous ball python Taurus.

Soon after getting Daenery's I decided I wanted a male, that way I could have a pair of snakes to use in photography and possibly breeding.

And that's how Alucard came into my life. He is a cinnamon het genetic stripe ball python. I feel like I was destined to get this fabulous guy. While at a reptile show I went by a fancy looking booth with incredible morphs and happened to see Alucard, I couldn't believe it! A screamer(good looking) cinnamon for only $125. I asked to hold him and instantly fell in love, I soon said I was going to buy him and handed the money over. The guy counted the money then talked to his boss, it turned out he was supposed to be $225 and someone made a mistake. luckily he was one of the most inexpensive snakes(most were $800-$13,000) and they let me take him anyway. I bought Alucard in the late afternoon and I am still stunned that no one snatched him up before me.

Previous to going to the reptile show were I got Alucard I was at a friends house. She breeds snakes and critters and I was mystified by the beauty of a full grown corn snake. Before I had only seen babies. So after getting Alucard I spent the rest of my cash budget on a female baby anery corn snake I named Lothlorien.

My last snake is Agro the male spider ball python. A friend of mine moved out of her parents house and into a apartment were she was unable to bring Agro. She asked me to take him since she new I would consider him a pet, rather than just a snake, or something to breed and make money off of. All spiders have a genetic defect called a wobble, this causes certain snakes to wobble a lot, corkscrew, and have trouble control their head and neck. Agro is pretty bad so he needs a special owner. I wasn't planning on another snake, but I took in Agro and give him lots of love and care.

#18 ·
What a pretty snake! I don't have any reptiles at the moment, but I used to have a red tail boa and plan on owning another in the future. ^.^ I LOVE reptiles. Especially snakes. I've been catching wild ones outside since I was, like, 5! xD

#21 ·
I grew up watching The Crocodile Hunter, and to this day I still search the woods for local reptiles, I love them. Unfortunately my family doesn't so I have yet to actually own a reptile, but I volunteer at a zoo in my city and I take care of reptiles like baby rosey boas, bearded dragons, and 6 ft. long pythons. It's great.

#23 ·
I love reptiles however my mom does not like the idea of feeding an animal live food. For now I have two Fire belly newts and even those my mom isn't happy about because I have to feed them frozen bloodworms.

#26 ·
Thank you for the advice! When I do get a reptile of some sort I will probably feed he or she with this method.

#35 · (Edited)
Oh of course I will lol. How could I not? The one science teacher (the moms owner) is so excited. Like ridiculously excited. My science teacher (owner of dad) is not so much. We don't have an incubator so we will keep them in their own container in the tank. My logic is that there are no incubators in the wild and the tank temp stays stable anyways!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.