Betta Fish Forum banner

Any Other Reptile Lovers?

5K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Artemis 
#1 ·
I know there can be a big misconception towards reptiles but I have to admit I am an avid fan. I am a proud momma of a beautiful little albino rosy boa. She was the first snake I handled when I visited a friend at their reptile hobby shop and I just couldn't put her back. She is so gentle and sweet and docile, haven't had a bite from her (yet).

Here is her picture. She is still small, I bought her as a baby and her name is Sophia. Any other reptile lovers here? I am looking into getting a few geckos or maybe a bearded dragon in a few weeks once I move :)

Attachments

See less See more
#38 ·
I'm defiantly a reptile person!!!
I currently own a ball python and a black scorpion. Kito and Serqet. I would have more if it weren't for the lag of job and my boyfriends mom is scared of them, Living with them. These were the only 2 I was able to sneak in. ;)
My daddy was a snake breeder and showed me the love of snakes!
(That photo was from the first time Serqet let me hold him and I was VERY excited he had trusted me)
Kito-Snake
Serqet-Scorpion

Attachments

#39 ·
any one who can hold onto a scorpion or tarantula is a brave person in my books. i dont dislike tarantulas though i have a mild fear of being bitten, though the though of dropping them is more pervasive. scorpions are a stronger fear for me on the pointy end of the stinger. it may take a while but i dont know if id be able to own a scorpioneventually.

#47 ·
Oh it took me a while to get the courage up to hold him. He was very aggressive when i got him. But at least with a tarantula if you drop him he will still be again to walk and you can later catch him, BUT if you drop a scorpion they sadly die. no matter the height. VERY sensitive animals.
But I wouldn't consider myself brave. Haha. Just weird xP I'm a desert rat. Dirt biking, quads, rangers. Camping in the desert AT LEAST once a month growing up. Growing up around these kinds of animals makes it a LOT easier to handle them!
But unlike other scorpion owners, I couldn't pick him up by the tail(I find it cruel since it can EASILY injure them) I just stick my hand in his cage and give him a scoot! Their very easy going animals.
Still don't advertise anyone to hold them though. They still have stingers, they still have venom, and their unpredictable(much like any other animal.)

#40 ·
I used to have a family of garter snakes. A friend of mine and I wild-caught a big female near my house and she ended up having babies. 2 of them survived and I kept the three of them for a while before releasing them. Fun little guys. My cat was obsessed with watching them! Currently don't have any reptiles in the house and don't really plan on getting one anytime soon, but I'm a big fan. :) I do have a pink-toe tarantula though! She's pretty fantastic.

#43 ·
He's a garter. They are supposed to adore salmon with calcium added and he won't eat it plain and simple. He'll only eat mice and I adore mice and I can't simply stand to feed him that. He has eaten a couple of earthworms but it took me over an hour to gather 4 and I also like worms not to mention gathering is not easy.

#48 ·
I was always told that a dropping a tarantula is similar to dropping a tomato - SPLAT. Probably depends on the size of the tarantula though, bigger ones being more at risk. I rarely take mine out of her cage because she is so fast and I'm afraid she'll startle me and I'll fling her across the room...lol. She's too precious to have to worry about hurting her!

#54 ·
The frozen mice are the problem and I think one of my 5 goldfish, Chai Guy, would be very upset if King got one of his tankmates. Not to mention, we tried those. The fish was in his waterbowl. He swam and hid his head under it. My snake is a wuss. We tried crickets in vain. Puffed up and twitched his tail. Big wuss.

#55 ·
Hm, wierd! Mine wouldn't touch crickets or mice. It was a lot of fun watching them try and catch fish though, usually there'd be one or two that would outwit the snakes and I'd have to give them to them out of water where they flopped around and caught the snake's attention. It looked like the snakes blindly swam around in the dish and if they bumped into something they tried to catch it, otherwise the fish got away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.