Betta Fish Forum banner

Cant keep upright. SBD? Egg bound?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
My female crowntail betta, Chloe, is having problems with boyancy (staying upright) for about a week. The first sign was her swiming was off....looked more like a waddle then a swim. Now she is ok when she is swiming but when she stops she starts to change body position to either head up, tail down or on to her side. Her "tummy" is looking fuller, though not bad, no raised scales, Ive seen it look worse. The second day part of the day her fins were slightly clamped but have been full ever since. She is resting under her plant leaves most of the day or wedging herself vertical by her heater. She usualy swims a lot. Ive seen bubbles come up from her. Maybe she is gulping more air? I dont see any pineconeing or any kind of spots.

I thought she was constipaited so I fasted her a few days and also tried cooked pea. She pooped green both times I tried the pea so Im guessing she isnt consto. I started feeding her again yesterday, bloodworm and presoaked pellet in tiny amounts. She gets real excited and swims fast as usual when she sees her feeding spoon. She gobbles up her food! She pooped ok yesterday.

I also wondered if she was egg bound or is she has some SBD probs. She has had probs with looking "puffy" in the past but I just fast her a day or so and she is usualy better. I also stoped adding aqua salt to the water last year because Id heard it could cause bloating.

Chloe is about 1 1/2 years old and very small apx 1 1/2". She is usually very active "pacing" back and forth in her tank at times.

She was sick about a month ago (5-16-10) and I gave her 1/2 dose Kanaplex for 10 days and she recovered. I dont know if thats realted. The symptoms now are partly different.
The symptoms she had back then were...
real full looking tummy
swiming kinda funny
staying at the bottom of the tank
fins clamped
not moving much
reddish patch by her caudal fin
usualy clear pectoral fins peach color
looked pinker in color...kinda like she was flushed
gills moving fast
rapidly moving her pectoral fins while staying at the bottom of the tank
not eating well, barfing up part of what she did eat
one day, tail a bit higher then her head
only comming to the top for air then quickly swiming back down

My answers to your info sheet....
1. What is the size of your tank? 2 gal.

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used. I usualy dont test. I do 100% water changes every 5 days. I have dip sticks. In the past all was well when I tested. I use tap water and the ph is usualy high 7.8 -7.9 I use NovAqua and Amquel at water change time.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? freshwater

4. How long the aquarium has been set up? Over a year but its not filtered

5. What fish do you have? one female crowntail betta. How many are in your tank? one How big are they? 1 1/2" How long have you had them? just over a year

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? ?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently? apx 78*-79*

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? No just a fake one

9. What filter are you using? None State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? 25W heater

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? indirect sunlight What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate? 100% water changes every 5 days I rince and scrub everything in hot water and dry out the tank before I refill it. I use tap water thats sat out over 24hrs. I have no substrate just a fake plant, clay pot, heater and thermometor.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule? 1 1/2 Hakari betta Bio Gold pellets presoaked each meal 2x a day. Every few days apx 2 frozen thawed bloodworms.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? For about a week she has had problems with boyancy. She is fine when she is swiming but when she stops she starts to float...head up or on to her side. So she parks herself under a plant leaf or wedges herself at the top by her heater. Also noticed at the same time her tummy was a bit puffier then usual....but not bad, Ive seen it worse.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis I thought she was consto so I fasted her a few days and also tried feeding cooked pea twice over the last week. She pooped green both times I gave her the pea so Im assuming she isnt constapaited.

Fish Meds I have on hand....
Maracyn 1 & 2 and TC, Maracyn Plus, Coppersafe, Maracide, Maroxy, PraziPro, KanaPlex, Quick Cure, Parasite and Ick Clear, API fungus Cure and Penicillin.

See less See more
#3 ·
Forgot to say....when I look down on her she looks fine. its viewing her from the side I see the puffyness and it hasnt gotten any worse.
Someone sugested I try epsom salts added to the tank (1/8 tea per 5 gal) or Kanaplex again. Just not sure what to do or if they can be mixed.

#4 ·
I would try the Espom salt 1tsp/gal along with daily 100% water changes for 10 days.
When you look at her from above does the swelling look equal on both side? if not, it could be a tumor, not cancer, and not much can be done except keep her comfy, the Epsom salt can help with symptoms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.