Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta compatibility

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 ·
Is it possible to put a single betta in a FW community tank ?

#2 ·
it is possible,however not always the fishes best interest.
is the tank in your siggy the one you are thinking of,
if so then i would say no,bit risky with barbs.
see what others say.

#3 ·
Maybe . you just need to have the a good size (10 gallons at the very least) with tropical (for 78 degree water) fish that arnt agressive, dont fin-nip, or have big flashy tails.
(cory's work well and so do tetras. the size of tank you have will depend on how many fish you can get. but somthing like a gold fish is a big no-no. they are cold water fish and have long flashy tails that the betta will respond to with agression.

but then again it depends on if your betta likes company. all of them are different. some will not care but some will kill the "indrudors". you'll just have to see how the betta will react after placing him in.

#4 ·
not with the barbs in my 55gal, they havent been nippy at all. but that could cange with long fins. In a smaller 29 gal. with a few tetras.

#7 ·
I have heard that tetras can be nippy. I did the cory catfish thing, and it is working great! My betta is very interested in them, but never aggressive. Sometimes they all hang out together at the bottom of the tank :D . I am very happy with the way this worked out. Both the corys and my betta have great personalities, so I love it! Also, I don't have to worry about anyone getting nipped or attacked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.