Betta Fish Forum banner

Heater Problems :/

1K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  pieleld 
#1 ·
I'm using a Hydor Theo 25W heater in my filtered 5 gallon tank. I live in a dorm room where ambient room temperatures are constantly fluctuating, especially during the winter nights. I have the heater set at 83 degrees and it barely manages to get it up to 79 during the day and at night the temperature drops to 76. I don't really like all this fluctuation. I was wondering what I should do, either buy a different 25W heater or try the Hydor Theo 50W. Any suggestions?

Cliffs-
-25W heater can't keep up with cold room temps
-Buy different 25W heater, or try same heater in 50W?
-Want consistent water temperature at 80 degrees.

#2 ·
I have a 100W Hydor Theo and it is total junk. Currently the thermostat is set to 70 F when the water temperature is actually 77 F. I've seen a lot of reviews that also state they have problems with the thermostat not working properly on that brand of heater. 25W should be perfect for a 5 gallon, so I would buy a different heater. I recommend the Hagen Elite Submersible Heater. It's 25 watts with an adjustable dial. I have it in my 5 gallon and it keeps the temp at a steady 80 F.

#4 ·
The heater should be able to adjust to the change in ambient temp. A good heater will turn on and off as it senses the temperature meeting or falling below the desired temp.

I would email the customer service reps at Hydor and tell them about your problem and ask if you can get a replacement heater. My 50w hydor never has an issue heating my 12 gallon tank and right now I'm not even running my heat so my apartment temps are fluctuating between 60 and 75 as Savannah can't decide whether it's winter or summer outside.

#5 ·
Our house gets around 67 F at night as well. The 25w Elite has no problems keeping up. I also agree with 1fish2fish with exchanging it for a new one and seeing if that solves the problem if you don't want to buy a different brand.

#6 ·
This is my second Hydor 25 W. I just had it exchanged for free. Was doing the same thing before, and the new one isn't any different. The heater turns on about ever minute for 30 seconds and turns off. There are three possible conclusions I can draw from this: 1.) 25 W is not enough power to heat my tank in low room temps. 2.) I received 2 broken heaters. 3.) Hydor Theo is a garbage heater.

#10 ·
hearters

I have been through exactly what you have with heaters. I had to run to Petco, because mine was just not doing the job and I was worried. Two weeks ago I bought an Aqueon 5o watt for my 5 gallon. It keeps it at exactly where I set it, 80 degrees, no matter what my room temp si which fluctuates between 65 and 70 during the day. Wonderful. I think I am going to buy another as backup...
I believe it was 19.99. I have gone through STEALTH PRO, VISI -THERM, HYDOR. The others were 25 w.
Keep us posted

#11 ·
#13 · (Edited)
I actually have the Aqueon Pro on my 29 gal loach tank. It was highly recommended to me and has never let me down. Recently I had to chose between the Aqueon Pro and Fluval for my 10 gal betta tank. I went with with Fluval because there was a sale on it, and I have heard good things about both.

The specific difference between the two heaters you posted is that the Pro is fully submersible. What this means it that you can place it parallel to the bottom of the aquarium and use convection currents to stimulate water movement in the tank (not enough to bother a betta just enough to keep the entire tank a steady temp).

I've found with heaters it pays to invest. In fact with this whole hobby it doesn't often pay to be cheap.

#14 ·
I seem to be having the same problem. I was at the pet store earlier today and the pet store person pretty much promised that this 25 watt water heater would do the job. I had a gut feeling that 25 watts wouldn't be enough but the salesperson was making it extremely difficult for me to try and get a higher wattage since the heaters were behind the counter. Like the idiot I am, I threw out the packaging and this garbage heater won't heat the water passed 78 degrees even when my house is nice and toasty. -_- So now I have to invest in a new heater, who knew this could be so frustrating?!

#16 ·
If you have a filter, placing it by the filter will help keep a regular temp throughout the aquarium. I think you should be good with the 50w model. Because that is a little larger than the normal size aquarium that heater is made for, make sure you are checking the temp daily. If you are careful you should be fine.

Glad to help ^-^

#19 ·
heater for fish tank.
recommended 5 wat per a gallon.
never work on me.
400 wat in a 60 gallon open top( the warmest i got it to get was 73 degree with both heater at it max)
here what i learn.
open top will take a lot more watts to warm it up.
if you have the top and all the side cover it will take less to warm up the tank.
125 close top with the side cover w/ 200w heater kept the tank at 75

#21 ·
Well one of mine is 50 watt and the Pro one is 150 watt so of course the Pro is bigger :) I haven't seen them side by side so I don't know which is longer.

I'd go with whichever one is cheaper :-D If you have a dark colored background the black heater is nice because it blends but if you don't have a black background then it doesn't really make a difference. Both have been very accurate, even though the 50 watt one was given to me used it still works really well (and has to be at least 1-2 years old). The Pro one I just got a month or two ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.