Betta Fish Forum banner

Dragon male HM x dragon HM female sibling spawn log

16K views 260 replies 26 participants last post by  Fasht 
#1 ·
So this'll be my official spawn log for my two dragon HM betta that came from darkmoon17's spawn. I've been meaning to make this log for a long time but, I just didn't had the time to do it. Also this is my 2nd attempt to spawn them since the first fry batch died probably cause of water quality.

Here are the pictures of the parents.

The fry are 8 days old and about 10 of the fry had died over the course of time. the fry pictures are bad cause my camera doesn't have the rightlens to zoom it closer.

My question is, when do I start introducing more water in the tank? and I read that I have to age the water, does that mean that I just need to age the water and not add any dechlorinator? or do I add the dechlorinator along with aging the water and for how long do I have to let the water sit before I add it to the tank?

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats......

What size tank, how much water, is the male still with the fry, what are you feeding them and how often, additives used, water temp, is the top covered to retain heat/humidity, have you made any water changes and if so, how much/often and any live plants.....

Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank.

Lovely pair by the way....

#4 ·
tank size is 10g, water is near half of the tank, the male has been taken out at the 4th day, I'm feeding them a mix of ww/mw and they get fed twice a day, additives would be the decholrinator? water temp ranges from 80-82, the top is covered with a mesh and a towel, I haven't done any water changes but I added 2 cups of decholrinated water aged for a day but that's about it. I have water wisteria (I think) pennywort and hornwort. and thank you!

#5 ·
When I used the standard 10gal bare bottom half full tanks to spawn (I use a natural method now)
Once I started feeding the fry-I would start my water changes-I would remove half gallon and replace with 1 gallon like temp dechlorinated water by gravity so that is went in over about 20 min or so...depending on how big a spawn I may do this twice a day about an hour after I fed them

By the time the fry were about 10-14 days old I had the tank full of water-again this depended on how many fry I had-with smaller spawns I may take up to 3 weeks before I had the tank full.

Once the tank was full-I would start 50% daily water changes-again depending on spawn size I may do twice daily

I also would have plastic veggie wrap over the tank by 10 days of age to help retain the heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ that start to develop in the 2-4 week range-that first breath of air if not warm and moist can sometimes cause sudden death and mass fry loss.....

Since eggs are dropped at different times they hatch at different times and the fry can be at different stages of growth and development....an hour or more difference in age can be a big difference in the fish world-especially since some species of fish are born, reproduce and die in a short period of time.....not to mention the stunting hormones that can impact G/D....

How many fry do you have and how are they doing.......any common snails in the fry tank to help with clean up between water changes-Good that you have some live plants in the tank too.....

#6 ·
Thanks for the infos. not really sure how many fry are there since it's too hard to count them lol. I'd say approximately 50-100. I just added 1 mystery snail in there. I guess I should start adding water in it since I haven't added much water and haven't done any water change. I've seen about 9 dead fry that I took out of the tank other than that it might have been eaten by the snail.

#10 ·
Here's an update of the fry it's their 11th day today, still unsure bout the number cause I'm too lazy to count them 1 by 1 lol, but once they're easily spotted I'll count them as soon as possible

Attachments

#21 ·
*WARNING* lots of cute fry pics *WARNING*

Here's an update of the fry. They're 14 days old and all healthy. They swim fast now and it's hard to take the pics. Some fry are only 1-2mm. but most are about 3mm.

Attachments

#24 ·
I love the 2nd one and the 5th one!

So cute!
Thank you!

Your fry are the same age as mine. Sure wish I could post such wonderful pictures.
Cool! I just recieved my macro extenders from the mail and I just had to try it out. It took me about half an hour trying to position and reposition myself lol.

#27 ·
Awww look how tiny they are!! I wish I could just sit and stare at them all day... I also wish I had thoes extenders you do! If I did it wouldnt take me 3 million hours to get a single good photo of my bettas.. lol Keep up the good work! Want lots of updates ^_^

#30 ·
Yeah i know! I cant wait as well

OMG SOOOOOO CUTE can't wait to see more pics as they grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will keep posting new pics!

Awww look how tiny they are!! I wish I could just sit and stare at them all day... I also wish I had thoes extenders you do! If I did it wouldnt take me 3 million hours to get a single good photo of my bettas.. lol Keep up the good work! Want lots of updates ^_^
If you have the camera just get the extenders at amazon, i got mine for 10bucks. Thank you and will do

#31 ·
GORGEOUS parents!
Mom looks like my Eurydice from Darkmoon!
and I LOVE the dad.... can't wait for more pictures!!!!

#36 ·
The parents are from darkmoon's spawn, and I adore them both! Thanks!

Gorgeous pictures.
Thank you!

Those pictures are great! Awww.
Thanks mish!

Great pics! What is the fry looking at in the fifth
pic?

Also love the first spawning pic of the male.. it looks like hes trying to you "Why you looking at my nest?!? >_<" lol!! I love thoes kinds of pics.. XD
He was actually flaring at me some time too, so I had to back off, didn't want him to eat the eggs.

#32 ·
More pictures of the cuties!
It's their 17th day today and I did my counting and there's about 35-40 fry I believe. There's a few that are abot 4mm. and mostly 3mm. and some 2mm.

These pictures are taken while they were eating, dunno If I actually capture them munching on the worms.

I know it's too late but I'm posting the pics that I took when spawning was taking place.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.