Betta Fish Forum banner

Snails Annonymus

9K views 135 replies 22 participants last post by  nel3 
#1 ·
A thread for all the major snail lovers on this forum who not only enjoy their snails but are crazy about their snails and think they make great pets.

Now I'll admit I wasn't a snail fan until recently when I got 2 ghost shrimp and 1 snail. I learned quickly the snail picked up more food on the ground than the shrimp and also the shrimp (despite perfect water conditions, a bubbler, and the right temp) died in only one day. The snail on the other hand has been nothing but entertainment since I got him, a beautiful Golden Mystery Snail named TESLA!!!!!!!

Tesla I feel has quite the character for a snail, he goes at high speed (for a snail) around the tank sucking up dropped food and his spinach. He will climb to the top of the tank and let his whiskers out of the water like a daredevil then rather than climb back down he lets go of the glass and falls back to the ground. HOW SMART IS THAT??? He's a fantastic little guy and I think my dislike for snails is completely gone. I'm now nuts for them, they are so cute and so fun to watch. I want one for every tank, another mystery for my 2nd 10 gallon I am setting up (black), a blue for my 20 gallon, and a ramshorn for my 5 ans 2.5 gallon tanks.

Pictures of Tesla coming soon.

See less See more
#6 ·
I love my snails! All I have are ramshorns and some hitch hiker pond snails, but they definitely do the job at keeping all my tanks nice and clean. Now to get a rabbit snail!

#10 ·
You know what I noticed with them? They would "die" on me, and then suddenly they'd suddenly start swimming again, and the only way to know if the snails are actually dead is if the tank smells HORRIBLE...

But anyway, this is for people who like snails. I'm sorry. :p

I actually liked my pond snails that I'd get in my tanks. They helped eat some of the algae and they were surprisingly cute.

#11 ·
I love my 3 Mystery Snails! A black, Ivory, and I think a Blue. They are so cool and pretty :-D

Also, I have some pics in my profile of them (can't post them on my phone) and I would love yalls help! I'm trying to decide if Magic (my largest baby) is in fact a Blue. She was labeled Blue, but she is an Olive color.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
I've only owned Estabon (my golden Mystery Snail) for a week and already I can't think of how my 10g would be the way it was before! He is just hilarious, all over the place, going like a little rocket! For a snail, anyways aha. I can't get anything else for my 10g, but as soon as my QT is my tank for my new Betta I'm going out and getting another snail for that one! Possibly even going to breed them... Does anybody know how to tell the males from the females? I have no idea if Estabon is a boy or a girl XD

#13 ·
I love my "pest" snails! My tanks all have some assortment of Ponds (all named "Amy" - kudos to anyone who gets it) and MTS. My 15 gallon also has a rather old ramshorn that I've grown rather fond of - he doesn't do much, but he's rather comical anyways. They're almost as entertaining as the fish sometimes :p
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
Woot! Another Doctor Who fan! Didn't your jaw drop with the angel in the graveyard? I was so bummed! :cry:

Oh and did you see the Christmas special? That Clara has me curious.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
xD Hi CB welcome to our support group lol

I love Assassins too, I want to get 2 for a tank some day and name them Etzio and Altire (sps?). I want more mystery snails too, especially a black, blue, and they have purple and pinkish hued ones as well that I want soooooo bad.

#17 · (Edited)
Amy Pond snails... Awsome :-D I seen the snowmen episode too...very..odd.

I loves my snails. I have 2 rabbit snails, 1 nerite, and an army of trapdoor snails. I had a black mystery snail but he died. Maybe because his shell eroded to the point he couldnt close it, despite the fact that I had coral and seashells in the water to up the hardness for him. tried to give him calcuim too but didnt work

#18 ·
I worry about my mystery snail sometimes too and am obsessive over PH levels in my tank but my snail seems to be doing great and he eats like a pig and is pooping good as well. His shell is pretty healthy and I see new growth at the front so I am trying to load him with calcium to help it grow in nice and strong.

I'm also considering breeding mystery snails too now. Just need to figure out how to gender them. I assume Tesla was a boy since he was trying to mate with another snail in the tank when I grabbed him. He was trying to mount a female but having trouble because she was scooting around too much xD Poor fella. Some people say females seem to be bigger and males have two tubes, an air tube and breeding tube but I don't know how one can find or even see a breeding tube unless you have two snails together and one happens to be a male.

#19 ·
I love my snails.

From being laid:

To the hatchlings:

As they grew bigger:

And bigger!:

And again as adults:

And even when my other snails don't like each other:

But I like more than just apples

I like Nerites:

And trumpets!:

But not when they overrun my tank!:

Maybe not females who over do it....

Um... can I join?

#21 ·
I've got about six left. Took the rest into the LFS. A mix of dark stripe purple and "wild". So half took after pop. I -think- the blue was the mother. But I had seen both females out of water at the time. The clutch you saw being laid then was not allowed to hatch. It was crazy enough with one!

#25 ·
Tikibirds- Is that fuzzy snail an apple? It looks so wild with all of that green everywhere! :D

I love my snails, I don't think tanks are complete without them! I have a slew of rams, MTS, and ponds. A gold mystery, a blue mystery, a big brown trapdoor (my favorite), a tiny little baby horned nerite, and an assassin.

Someday I'd love to get some of those Rabbit Snails! They're so weird with their noses :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.