Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #12361 
FrostPixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here are some "betta" pictures. Get it? HAHAHAHAH, I should stop.
very lovely!!
FrostPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM   #12362 
burn84

Update: My Divided 8Gal Tank
Attached Images

burn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM   #12363 
burn84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
Hello! This is my first post.

First, a bit about me. I live in Western Australia, own 3 guinea pigs and one blue betta fish. I have just started school holidays, so I figured now would be a good time to change my fish’s habitat up.

I have had my betta for a while now, and want to improve his life, as I have now realised that I am doing lots of things wrong and would like to put them right. I am sorry to say I did the impulse buy thing, and bought exactly what the shop assistant said to do (tiny tank, spiky plant which I am going to take out now).

I have a few questions, please help!

1. His fins have been tattered since the first time I did a full clean on his tank; could anyone please help me with this? After I had had him for a little while and had done a few partial cleans, I did a nearly full water change as his aquarium was looking dirty. I let the new water sit in a jug for a day or so, and put the cleaning drops we got from the pet shop in. Within about a week in his new water, his poor fins seemed to fall to bits, and now they are tiny and ragged. Can anyone help? Should I clean him out more often, less often, with no drops, more drops or different drops?

2. My Mum and I just bought a new container vase thing from Ikea to use as a bigger tank, and I was wondering if it would be okay to use, and if cylindrical aquariums are a problem. It is the "CYLINDER Vase/Bowl, set of 3” - http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/80175213/ . If it is not suitable, I can probably return it and get a bigger one somewhere else.

There is a small one, a bigger version of the small one and a wide shallow-ish one. The bigger one is 5.089 litres in volume, while the shallow one is 3.421 litres and the smaller one is 2.309 litres. I’m guessing it would be better to use the bigger one with less surface area than the smaller shallow one with more surface area? (I read that they need a certain amount of surface area for breathing)

3. What about plants? I have only got a plastic one at the moment; would a real one be better? If so, how do I go about this? (do I use sand, stones over soil, just stones, or what? And what kind of plant?). Or should I buy a silk one to start with, then maybe get a real one later? I now know I also need to get him a house to hide in.

4. What about filtration? I already have a heater, but do I need a filter? What kind of filters do they need/what are the best to buy? I read that they don’t like strong currents or bubbles.

That’s all I can think of for now. I am REALLY sorry for all these questions, but I really want to improve his (currently terrible) care. After figuring out what I need, I can ask my Mum to take me shopping to buy it if I need to. If there is anything else I have missed, please let me know. I can’t wait to be able make him happier!

(Hopefully) attached is a picture of the biggest vase, with my hand for a size reference.

Thanks so much in advance for any responses, and sorry for the huge post!
I used to have a very similar bowl for my betta long time ago . I had a tiny sponge filter inside and just to break the current, I bought a Pothos Ivy from a local nursery and rinse the roots out completely of soil, and let the roots be in the water. It really thrived and it grew really fast as it is very low maintenance indoor plant that doesn't require lighting, just as long as it gets some light coming through a window it should do fine. Plus the roots, submerged in water, totally helps with stopping any form of current that the sponge filter gives off and helps with keeping the water clean as it will consume the waste given off by your Betta.

Since you are in Western Australia, I am guessing dried Banana Leaves, Indian Almond Leaves or Oak Leaves shouldn't be hard to come by. Just drop them in and it should sink to the bottom of the bowl within a few days. These dried leaves will release some natural remedies for the fish as it has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. They also promote fast fin growth and helps with healing torn/ripped fins. I personally like dried banana leaves as they willl secrete this slimy substance that has a lot of beneficial properties. I have seen my cories and shrimp go crazy over this slimy stuff.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM   #12364 
GuineaPig

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! My Mum and I have decided to get a bigger one, and we chose the “Aqua One Betta Trio” from PetBarn (cheaper than it was at City Farmers by about $20):

My brother and sister each have a Betta as well, so we are putting one in each compartment. It is 36 litres, or 9.5 gallons, which is a huge amount better than the 1 gallon one. It has an in-built filter, and comes with a heater and a light.

So far, we have got the gravel, but nothing else. My sister and I spent about 2 hours rinsing the stones, which are now spread out in the divided tank.

However, I am unsure what to do next. We are considering using real plants in the tank, is this a good idea, and what plants do you recommend? I read that Riccia and Java moss were good choices.
Should we wait to get the plants before adding water? Or add them after the tank has cycled?

Also, should I wait until my fish is better before putting him in the big tank, so that whatever he has doesn’t get transferred to my siblings’ fish? (I would put him in the smaller, 1.3 gallon Ikea one)

I am really confused as to what to do next, could someone please advise me on the next few steps?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the time everyone took to respond :)

ETA: I just read that we need some water conditioner for setting up the good bacteria. What is the best type available in Perth, WA? Also, there were about a million different bottles of chemicals available in the pet shops; which is the right aquarium salt? This was the one I saw in the shop:

Is it any good, or should I look for others? Are there any other chemicals I need?

The chemicals we currently have are:
Stress Coat (API brand)
Stress Zyme (API brand)
Melafix (API brand)
BettaSafe Water Conditioner (Tetra brand) - “Makes tap water safe for Bettas; Complete formula, works in seconds”. We have been using this to treat our tap water when doing tank cleans.

Please tell me if I have forgotten anything, and thanks again for all the previous replies!

Last edited by GuineaPig; Yesterday at 04:55 AM.
GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM   #12365 
burn84

That's a really nice tank! You can immediately add the plants, probably easiest would be to get some Java Ferns (I prefer Java Ferns as when the leaves reach the top of the water line, it makes a natural resting/sleeping area for the Bettas) that are already tied on to the driftwood and are very easy to maintain. Java Moss is nice too, also low maintenance, will look really nice once you tie it down onto some driftwood and watch it grow. As for the quarantine period, I would follow this method using the Melafix you already have (in their current setup) before adding them all to the main tank just to be on the safe side.

Also when your Java Fern is nice and healthy, you will realize that at the underside tips of the leaves, brown tiny furry roots will start forming like this. This will probably take about 1 month or so, as they are low light/slow growing plants. I generally let it come off by themselves and just gently insert it back into the base main plant.

To speed up the cycling process I dose my tanks with ISTA Photosynthetic Bacteria. Very handy chemical to have on hand. I also use some Hexa Flora Spring Liquid Fertilizer just to give my Java Ferns a bit of a boost in nutrients. There are many types of fertilizers out there but I find that this particular brand is helping my Java Ferns pretty well. And not to forget your Anti-Chlorine solutions, which I think you already have.

Till my Java Ferns are nice and tall enough to reach the water surface, I made my own Betta hammock with aquarium divider suctions and fold some dried up banana leaves like this:
Attached Images

Last edited by burn84; Yesterday at 07:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention about the photosynthetic bacteria, liquid fertilizer and water conditioners
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #12366 
Lonely

*Has small 1 gallon tank with only decorative rocks and 1 silk plant*
Lonely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #12367 
nixie

Smile

just set up a 3-4 gallon tank with my diy filter for my new betta thats coming will add more stuff to it later
Attached Images

nixie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #12368 
FrostPixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! My Mum and I have decided to get a bigger one, and we chose the “Aqua One Betta Trio” from PetBarn (cheaper than it was at City Farmers by about $20):

My brother and sister each have a Betta as well, so we are putting one in each compartment. It is 36 litres, or 9.5 gallons, which is a huge amount better than the 1 gallon one. It has an in-built filter, and comes with a heater and a light.

So far, we have got the gravel, but nothing else. My sister and I spent about 2 hours rinsing the stones, which are now spread out in the divided tank.

However, I am unsure what to do next. We are considering using real plants in the tank, is this a good idea, and what plants do you recommend? I read that Riccia and Java moss were good choices.
Should we wait to get the plants before adding water? Or add them after the tank has cycled?

Also, should I wait until my fish is better before putting him in the big tank, so that whatever he has doesn’t get transferred to my siblings’ fish? (I would put him in the smaller, 1.3 gallon Ikea one)

I am really confused as to what to do next, could someone please advise me on the next few steps?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the time everyone took to respond :)

ETA: I just read that we need some water conditioner for setting up the good bacteria. What is the best type available in Perth, WA? Also, there were about a million different bottles of chemicals available in the pet shops; which is the right aquarium salt? This was the one I saw in the shop:

Is it any good, or should I look for others? Are there any other chemicals I need?

The chemicals we currently have are:
Stress Coat (API brand)
Stress Zyme (API brand)
Melafix (API brand)
BettaSafe Water Conditioner (Tetra brand) - “Makes tap water safe for Bettas; Complete formula, works in seconds”. We have been using this to treat our tap water when doing tank cleans.

Please tell me if I have forgotten anything, and thanks again for all the previous replies!
You can get Seachem Prime which is a great water conditioner and a lot of the members on here recommend it.

Also, if you visit a Pet City grab New Life Spectrum betta formula... its a lot better than Hikari betta gold.

Have a click on the links in my signature... they might give you some ideas for things to buy 😊
FrostPixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, feelin'likeavandal, foronebetta, glory werz here!:b, i like food, icryontheinside, ihavea60litretank, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank