Betta Fish Forum banner

Amount to feed

864 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Arashi Takamine 
#1 ·
Hi forum! I brought home my first betta and absolutely adore him. I did a lot of reading, but I can't remember if someone's already addressed my concern. I brought two types of food to start off with. One is betta pellets and the other is hikari micro pellets. This may seem like a silly question, but those micro pellets, as the description states, are tiny. I'm feeding my betta 3 to 4 regular pellets. How much micro pellets comparatively should I be feeding him?

I also read somewhere here the hikari brand is no good anymore. Is this true?

And one more question... I want to by the baby brine shrimp. Should I get the frozen or the one that's freed dried? the frozen one looks like they are cubed, which looks hard break off a tiny piece.

Great forum and appreciate any advice :)

(Posted from my mobile device - please forgive any typos)

#2 ·
Hikari recently changed their ingredients to include more wheat than fish, so yes I suggest as soon as you can to get a brand like Omega One or New Life Spectrum, my personal favorite.

I would get the frozen kind. They are much better for them than freeze dried. But the baby brine shrimp are extremely small and my bettas can't even see them. I suggest getting the frozen adult brine shrimp. Freeze dried foods can only be fed weekly, whereas you can feed frozen daily.

#5 ·
Hikari recently changed their ingredients to include more wheat than fish, so yes I suggest as soon as you can to get a brand like Omega One or New Life Spectrum, my personal favorite.

I would get the frozen kind. They are much better for them than freeze dried. But the baby brine shrimp are extremely small and my bettas can't even see them. I suggest getting the frozen adult brine shrimp. Freeze dried foods can only be fed weekly, whereas you can feed frozen daily.
Seriously? Dangit I should have bought the frozen! Aki's gotten two servings one today one yesterday....Maka got one yesterday too but she just ate it today. (I give my new betta's a longer feeding time that way they can have a chance to eat if they want to. Aki's still a big.)

I agree about the NLS too. Akira loves them and Maka well...Haven't seen her nom them yet but they keep disappearing in a short time.

#4 ·
Hi there,
Yep, Hikari changed their ingredients and I've heard that it has caused some bettas to get bloated and even compacted. Try to get a new food asap.

Omega One, New Life Spectrum and Attison's are probably the best options at this time. Attison's being my personal favorite.

As turtle10 said, baby brine shrimp are TINY so definitely try the adult brine shrimp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.