Betta Fish Forum banner

Do you have this trouble, too?

786 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Neil D 
#1 ·
I was in Walmart today, picking up a jewelry box I saw on sale last week (Girls, great buy!! Now $8.00!! http://tinyurl.com/3ucrmtn).

Of course, I checked out the bettas. There were about 20 cups, not in great shape. Two of the bettas had already passed away. I saw about three in decent condition, one was really really cute, a pale body with sky blue fins. It was very difficult for me not to save him that moment. But I know that it's not practical for me to have a second water pet - especially since I would have to create another complete setup.

Do you all have the same problem? Or do you give in to the impulse to give these guys a decent life?? =((

#6 ·
DING, DING, DING - we have a winner!!!

It's true, though. The more you buy, the more they stock. I know your heart is in the right place, but since it is a bottom line business if an item doesn't sell, they stop carrying it (fish included).

The ONLY way, IMO, to get Wal-Mart to stop selling livestock is to not purchase.

#3 ·
That's a really neat jewelry box! I hate it when people write bad reviews about something because it got damaged during shipping.

I always want to buy all of the bettas, especially the ones at Walmart, but I can't. :( I'll be getting another one soon, as my Walstad tank is now without a fish, but I'm waiting for the plants to grow more so I don't get any anaerobic pockets.

#7 ·
I know you are absolutely right, Lion Mom. The old supply and demand. If there is no demand, the supply will dry up. But it's so very hard to leave them all, when you know their future is so bleak...

#8 ·
I don't think I'll ever buy a WalMart fish. For one, the employees are SUPER cruel to all the fish. I over heard them training a new girl and they're all "We don't use substrate because it gets messy or put in any decorations all it is is more work. Plus, don't feed them. It just causes them to poop a lot and once they're full they don't swim a lot which people don't like."

WHAAAAT?!?!

Yep. I don't buy bettas from my PetSmarts, either. They treat their bettas horribly and I wish they'd just stop carrying them.

My PetCos? Amazing. They are in somewhat larger cups, always being monitered. If there's a health issue, they attend to it immediately. Most of the bettas are labeled correctly and generally look really healthy. Plus, they have such wide and amazing selections (Like AB selections!) it makes me think they wholesale buy from a legitament breeder. They even take care to stack the cups in a way to leave their air hole open. I like them!

I always have the urge to take 50 home with me each pet store visit... Heck, I visit a pet store probably 5 times a week! D: So I always leave the betta there and come back in a week. If it's still there or I still reaaaally want it, like uncomtrollably bad, and I have a place for it, I'll pick it up. This rule has allowed me this one female out of about 15 bettas! I'll stick with it! ;)

#9 ·
It's a good thing my walmart has stopped selling fish or I would probably have way more fish, I would take them all home.

My petsmart isn't the best so I just try and stay away from the betta shelf, if I do happen to look someone always gives me the 'take me home please' face. Then I feel really sorry to leave them behind and normally leave with at least one.

There is one pet store near me that is horrible, I can't go there because I will leave with a betta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.