Betta Fish Forum banner

*Sigh* Oh boys, that is not what your tail is for.

859 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  tsoto80 
#1 ·
So over the weekend, I went away, and one of my boys further chomped his tail and another started >_< the one who continued is now in a one gallon quarantine for a few days so i can aquarium salt him. He literally chewed like half of his tail... Oh Beau.

#2 ·
Why are they doing that??? Tail too heavy or why?? Or don't we know...

#3 ·
There are different theories, one is stress, one is boredom, another is that their tail is too heavy for them.
All I know is that you can do everything right, give them the best care, and they still might tail bite. My boy has chewed up his tail twice. First time was stress, no idea what triggered him the second time.
Alter his decor, add live plants, an air stone was suggested so he would have something else to keep his attention. Keep the inside and outside of his tank "updated". Different background, etc. Other than that you can treat to help prevent fin rot.
As a side note, this is not just something that happens to fish, this sort of.. mutilation is done by humans to themselves. I naturally assume this isn't related to why bettas tail bite, for humans it's a psychological condition. Sorry if I'm off on a tangent, when I saw it in my fish, I couldn't help but think of this.

#7 ·
I have a tail biter & he is driving me NUTS!!!! He is a blue super delta that I put in a 5 gal. tank when I first got him - he HATED it!!! That is where he started biting his tail. Moved him into a 3 gal. and he is much happier - active, looks good (except for the tail thing), eats well, etc. - but STILL chews on his tail. It seems NOTHING will stop it - live plants, salted water, non-salted water, heat, IAL - all to no avail!!! Grrrrrrr................

#8 ·
Well, I have moved the second boy to quarantine, I was hoping fresh water would make him stop, but nope. So right now I have two boys downsized to bare except for their plants thermometer and heater 1 gallon kritter keepers with salted water. Hopefully they will stop and allow for regrowth. They look ridiculous with their stubs. Give me a few and I will post before and after. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.