Betta Fish Forum banner

Question

955 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
hi all im getting a female betta to go with my male:-D and i am wanting to breed them anything ill need for the fry?

#5 ·
Yea, I'll say it, the general thought is that you shouldn't be breeding betta fish if you have to ask the most basic of breeding questions, IMO. So, imo, you shouldn't think about breeding untill having been through the effort of learning about the entire cycle/ritual/beliefs/etc of bettas and thier breeding habits.

This is not just a toy to play with.

Forgive me if this seems out of line.

#6 ·
After you learn more about fish breeding period, don't start out with bettas.

Try cihclids, their an easy starting breeder, the parents take care of them for the most part.

#10 ·
Don't get discouraged....Betta are pretty easy to spawn but the fry rearing can be tricky...not just the feeding but health as well...even years of research can't save them....but experience can help.

Do some more research and get a general idea, make a plan.... during this time get your breeding pair conditioned and spawning tank set-up and cycling so that it will be mature to increase your chances of successful fry rearing, practice culturing different cultures you plan to feed the fry and this can also be used to feed the breeders....

Ask questions on what you don't understand and get opinions on how other have had successful spawns and fry rearing

And then get busy spawning

Most important...have fun and enjoy your Bettas......

#8 ·
Research isn't enough, hours of time, and possibly a lot of money is needed. Every fry must be kept alone eventually, and water must be changed daily for the fry. It doesn't sound like your very ready. Try the cihclids like I suggested first. Bettas are a complex breeder.

#9 ·
true you will need a lot of money a good pair and food for the fry. it will basically eat a hole in your wallet. its way to complex to a newbie at bettas period. or you can try guppies they have nice color and VERY easy to breed!!. and as suggested chichlids. but they will eat your money too kinda because they get big and you need a big tank for them and stuff like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.