Betta Fish Forum banner

Betabow 2.5 gallon tank problems?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  redcharizard 
#1 ·
I do not know much about betas. I got my first two a few days ago. I got two males and put the in the beta bow tank. I know enough to keep them separate so I got this tank because of the divider so you can keep two fish in one tank. Well it turns out that the fish can go right through the divider on the sides and when I adjust it they can go through the other side. They got in a fight today when I wasn't home and now they both have severe rips in their fins. It would be quite a hassle to get a new tank. So does anyone have a solution to this? Or a tank recommendation so I can have both of them in one tank? The tank should be able to fit on my dresser.

#2 ·
There are ways to modify the tank to allow it, but a 2.5 gallon is a bit on the small side for two fish. You really probably are better off getting a second tank. I know that is not what you want to hear, but the kind of modifications needed to secure a divider take a bit of know-how that could be very hard for someone new to bettas.

#4 ·
#3 ·
I have the bettabow, with the divider thrown out and only one fish in it. The divider that comes with it is useless, and I honestly don't know any way to make it work. The tank itself is identical in every way to the normal 2.5g minibows, other than the divider and different food sample.

I have to say, if you have the budget buying a second tank is probably the way to go. Or you could return the bettabow, buy a square 5g and build DIY dividers which myself and many other members have made with good success. Because the 'bow tanks are curved, a divider isn't going to be placed easily and with their small size I really would recommend only one betta in them at a time.

#5 ·
The best replacement tank solution I can think of is to get a 5 gallon tank (Petsmart has 5 gallon kits on sale for around $24 that includes lid/light, filter, and tank) and dividing it. However, the smallest sized dividers I've seen that you can buy are for 10 gallons, so you'd have to make your own divider, which can be a little tricky.

My suggestion to you is to return one of the bettas to the store and keep a single Betta in your BettaBow. Since you're new to keeping bettas, it will be easier to only have to worry about one betta for now.

#6 ·
That's so strange to me that you have had problems with the divider.....unless you've bought an older version of the tank or one with a manufacturing defect. I myself have over 20 of the same tanks and I have never had a problem with the divider whatsoever. In my tanks, it fits securely and there's absolutely no way the fish can get to each other unless they learn the high jump and manage to go over the top. I've found these tanks to be an attractive, reasonably-priced option for keeping multiple bettas in a limited space....provided you watch the water quality and do your scheduled water changes.

Anyway, in your case, I would definitely go with a second tank since there seems to be something wrong with the divider on the one you've got.

#7 ·
You must have stocky or full grown fish, while the OP provably has thinner ones.
I've noticed that with my 6 betta bows the divider will wœk with my stickier fish, HMPK and full grown HM's, but with my thinner fish like younger HM and females they'll go right through them, in each tank, no matter how I try to adjust them. It's because the dividers don't have a now in them to cover the curve in the bowfront..
I have tried to make DIY dividers for them, waste of my time every time.
Your best best OP, is to get another tank. Return the now and get a 5 gallon, they are probably even cheaper than the betta bows.

#9 ·
i had the exact same problem
i had baby bettas grow in that divided tank but about 4-6 months they managed to get through it and they tore each other up i did everything i could to secure the can but some how they got through

so i went to petco to get an exchange without a reciept and about 9 months later after trying to fix the stupid bowl
got a 10 gallon tank with lights filter and all that jazz
made my own divider and now they are happy fight free and with more space

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.