Betta Fish Forum banner

Normal behavior?

967 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Olympia 
#1 ·
A lot of the time, my betta Caravaggio is very active. He appears excited and full of energy and likes hanging out in his favorite hiding spot. I've had him for about a week. He's had a thermometer in his tank for about three days. In th last day, I've noticed that when he isn't being active, he's pressed his nose against the base of the thermometer where it meets the suction cup, (he really likes the small band where the suction cup goes around the top of it) and BARELY moves. He's totally unresponsive when he's in "thermometer mode" and won't stop for food.

Is this normal?

#3 ·
He could be sleeping.. My fish sleep at night and if I wake up to go to the bathroom they don't even notice me, they just float motionless at the top.. I usually wake them up cause I'm like OMG ARE YOU DEAD?!
Personality changes like that could be a sign of illness, or cold water.. What temp is your water? Has his appearance changed at all?

#4 ·
The problem is that he's like this during the day, too. : ( If he's started he'll perk up and move around but soon enough he's back to being listless.

His tank IS too cold right now. It's only 72 degrees (the heater is in the mail and will be here in a few days) but that temperature has been consistent, and he's been fine til now. His current home is small enough (a bigger tank is also coming in a few days!) for me to wrap my insulated winter coat around it, so that maybe it'll be a bit warmer. there's still a space for light to come in.

His appearance hasn't changed. I'm worried! : ( I hope that he's not suffering too much because of the cold! If he is, I hope he can make it a few more days until his heater arrives.

#8 ·
They are really hardy.. The cold water usually just makes them less active and more vulnerable to disease. Him perking up when he sees you means that he's probably healthy, just cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.