Betta Fish Forum banner
6K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  Perry the platypus 
#1 ·
My 5 goldfish Fishy,Fishey,Fishi,Fishiy,and Fishiey play dead. Every time someone walks in the room at least 1 plays dead and the other 4 goldfish hide. I will get some pictures if only I know how to post some. teeneythebetta told me but I want to know how to post pictures from my camera.

#2 ·
We're going to need a lot more information in order to address your issue. Please tell us how large the tank is and how long large the fish are. Also what kind of filters you are using on the tank and what the water parameters are (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH). Also knowing whether these are fancy goldfish or common goldfish would be a large help.

#4 ·
Even if they are fancy goldfish a 22 gallon tank is too small for five of them. Was the tank properly cycled before adding the goldfish and have you tested the water parameters of your tank?

First thing to do whenever your fish are acting oddly, is to rule out water quality as an issue. I have found the presence of ammonia can cause fish to become more skittish than usual, which is probably triggered by stress.

Also what temperature are your goldfish being kept at if you have a heater in there?

I am not understanding the last part of your post. Is your plakat in with your goldfish?

#8 ·
You should definately get the plakat out of there. Goldfish are temperate fish, 82 is too hot for them. The plakat is probably loving it though. And are they fancy or common? Either way it's too small.

#9 ·
Betta and Goldfish CAN'T live together. Both fish require TOTALLY different water temps and quality. Betta's need warmer water and goldfish need cooler water. Plus as your goldfish get larger they WILL eat the betta. They will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

#10 ·
You do know that goldfish grow between 8 and 12 inches long, right? A 22 gallon tank is way too small for 5 goldfish (even right now). They produce more ammonia than the average fish and need large quantities of water or at least large frequent water changes until you can find a more permanent solution.

Your goldfish should not be sleeping up side down (I can only assume this is what you mean as you haven't described exactly what "playing possum" is). If you have fancy goldfish this is a sign of a swim bladder or digestive problem. Often times this is caused by poor water quality and poor quality food. In order to improve water quality, you will need a larger tank.

On the subject of the plakat, he should not be in with goldfish. While goldfish can handle temps up to 90F, they shouldn't be in water warmer than 80F long term. Warmer water speeds up their metabolism and causes them to release more ammonia. They also need to be fed more at warmer temps to maintain a good weight; and of course more food in means more waste out. As your goldfish grow, the plakat will become food. Despite their bulbous bodies, even fancy goldfish can move rather quickly when they are hungry. A fully grown goldfish could swallow a plakat whole.

#15 ·
Definitely not normal.

Your common goldfish are going to be majorly stunted in a tank of that size. I have personally first-hand seen the results of stunting caused by a too small tank as my poor goldfish is only half the size it should be.

You have to realise, in ideal conditions, a goldfish can reach its adult size in only 1-2 years.

Keeping five potentially tank-busting fish in a 22 gallon tank is a recipe for disaster. I would suggest maybe rehoming or finding someone with a pond that could take them in.

#33 ·
WAIT.
Something is not right here.

You told me you were 10 and you dont have money to get your betta a heater or a tank bigger than the 1/2 gallon you have.
So how are you getting a bigger tank?

#31 ·
They look pale, like they are being kept in the dark or are being deprived of proper nutrition, their fins are clamped, and their eyes are all cloudy. That is a definite sign that the water quality is terrible and they are not being given the proper care.

Poor babies. :-(

#37 ·
No I'm not getting confused.
This was perry I was talking to.
I believe it's all on my visitor messages

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.