Betta Fish Forum banner

HELP! Alpha or bully?

962 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  xswornxoffxjello 
#1 ·
In my sorority tank (4 girls, 10 gallons and lots of plants) my alpha is tearing my other girls' fins. I know it's her because hers are perfect and the others are shredded. I know that some aggression is normal, and she doesn't seem to want to kill them or anything, but I'm afraid for them. I don't know if it's connected or not, but one girl is looking hugely bloated and her fins are in terrible shape. Is there anything I can do besides remove the alpha? But aren't you not supposed to have three together?

#5 ·
And sometimes, a certain female is simply this aggressive. Three is not recommended, although this may not be the best tip, buy another one or two females bettas to add into the tank. Re-decoration may be necessary, although I don't have my own sorority.

EDIT: You just addded photos. I would recommend adding more tall plants, and more plants on the sides. The bunch in the middle is great, though.

#8 ·
Wait, I'm confused now. I feel the need to clarify. Forgive me for restating this but I have four, and the betta in the pics is the alpha.
DQ--yikes. I really, really hope not. I have no room for fry. Eeks.
xxabc--I'll try to find some more plants to put in.

#10 ·
Jello, you may have to just remove the alpha unless you are willing to wait it out another week or so. You can return her to the store if you need to. No, it's not recommended to have three, however in this case it shall only be very temporary if you do return the "alpha." // If you return the alpha, buy one or two more in return to replace her. It tends to be a little okay to overstock a female sorority, only if you're strong on water changes. This is just for the sake of spreading out the aggression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.