Housing
Q:What size is your tank?
A: 2.5 gal

Q:What temperature is your tank?
A: 78-80*F

Q:Does your tank have a filter?
A:
Yes

Q:Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
A:
Yes

Q:Is your tank heated?
A:
Yes

Q:What tank mates does your Betta fish live with?
A:
None

Food
Q:What type of food do you feed your Betta fish?
A:
A diet if mainly Betta pellets, with live brine shrimp and crushed tropical flakes on occasion.

Q:How often do you feed your Betta fish?
A:
1-2 times a day, with a 24hr fasting period once a week.

Maintenance

Q: How often do you perform a water change?
A:
2 times a week. For the 2.5 it would be 2.3 times a week though.

Q:What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
A:
50% usually and 100% every two weeks.

Q:What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
A:
Aqua Safe and Jungle Start zyme.

Water Parameters:
Q:Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
A:
No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
Q:How has your Betta fish's appearance changed?
A:
Two to three days ago I moved him from my divided 10 gallon to his 2.5 gallon. I noticed when I moved him that the back of his anal fin was missing a small chunk out of it and it looked like he scratched the crap out of his left side. When I introduced him to the 2.5 gallon I noticed that he was rarely using his left pectoral fin, even though I couldn't see any damage to it.
While taking down the 10 gallon I found the remnants of his anal fin under a large rock he used to hide behind. I'm thinking he got stuck and scratched the crap out of himself and ripped his anal fin getting out.

Today I noticed that it's all white were he got all scratched up on his left side. He also has two tiny white cottony patches under his mouth. It doesn't seem to be spreading. Half of his anal fin is almost gone now and the fin rot seems to be starting on the bottom of his caudal fin. His left pectoral fin seems to be reduced to almost a nub. It's weird because his pectoral fin seemed fine last night. o_O

Q:How has your Betta fish's behavior changed?
A:
He is normally very shy. At first he ran and hid in his tiny vase/cave when I introduced him to his tank. He's been kinda hanging out on the bottom, but this also may be due to just being re-homed in a new environment. He has stopped using his left pectoral fin since he was re-homed, even before it looked like he had any fin rot to it. Other than that he acts normal.

Q:When did you start noticing the symptoms?
A:
2-3 days ago and new symptoms today as I've been keeping an eye on him.

Q:Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
A:
Yes. When I first noticed symptoms a few days ago he had a 100% water change with a new aquarium and I added a tiny bit Aquarium salt to his tank as a preventative. At that time I though it may just be due to having gotten stuck behind a rock.

Today when I noticed new symptoms that made me sure he at least has fin rot and possibly a fungal infection, I took him out of his tank. I placed him in a 1 gallon jar with fresh treated water and added 1 teaspoon of Aquarium salt. He seems a lot more active now and interested in his surroundings.

Q:Does your fish have any history of being ill?
A:
Not really. He had one cause of fin rot in the past when a filter stopped working.

Q:How old is your fish (approximately)?
A:
I would say maybe a year and a half old.

Notes:
Even though it seems that his fin rot is becoming more advanced, I can't get him meds until this Thursday when I get my check as I just ran out last week. Long story short; I ran out of my meds because I was trying to make sure a different Betta of mine didn't have an infection, which he actually has swim bladder disorder and sinks. My question is if it still seems to advance more quickly would it be safe to up the salt to 2 teaspoons per gallon? Also, when looking for meds, is there a medication I can use that will treat both fungal infections and fin rot safely with a Plakat Betta? Also, is there anything else that I may be able to do for him aside from adding salt until I'm able to get medication if the salt doesn't seem to effect his condition?

When he was in the divided 10 gallon, it was also heated, filtered and had a type of aeration. The 2-times a week water change was for the ten gallon. 1-2 50% water changes once a week. A 100% one once a month as needed.

See less See more
#3 ·
Update: I got him meds on that Friday. They were out of Maracyn so the lady there gave me a bit of Nitrifuranzone from their private supply and instructed me on how to dose him for his 1 gallon quarantine tank.

The first two days on the meds and AQ salt he seemed to be doing better and then his bottom started to disintegrate again slowly. The disintegration seems to have stopped on his pectoral and back fin, but is slowly still getting worse on his bottom fin. His side seems to have not changed at all. It cleared a bit at first and then went back to looking like it did and he now has a slight red open sore on his side as well. It's almost seems like some kind of flesh eating desease so I'm treating it like Columnaris.

The lady said the meds she gave me were more potent than the Maracyn I was looking for. I just don't understand why it's not getting better.

These are some pictures of him below. If you have any ideas on what I can try to do to save him, please post.

Rojo at first: This was when he was just getting over some slight finrot or scratches to his bottom fin a week or so before this happened. Sorry for the picture quality.

This is him now, a week of meds later. He's been showing his stess stripes the last two days. I wish I could get a better pic. The water's green from the meds.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm really sorry to hear this... :( it looks like he has some blue on him though? I saw you already read the Mystery Disease.... I'm not sure if they have to be all blue or just have some on them.... but I wouldn't rule it out... all the same yes, I would up the FW AQ Salt to two teaspoons.... also you might try using some of API's Stress Coat+ Conditioner.... just use it in addition to your regular conditioner... I'd also suggest Prime if you don't use it... I know for a fact it works and it lasts FOREVER, you get your money out of it for sure...
if it is fin rot, that might help some... my boy got a really bad case of it and the two teaspoons + Stress Coat seems to have fixed him right up... I hope your little guy will be okay....
here's also two links on Oldfishlay's tannin method,
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86442
& http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86672
it should be a big help too.... and has fungus-fighting properties.... best wishes for your buddy D: <3

#5 ·
Thank-you so much for the tips. I think I will try the Stress coat thing next time I can get some from the store. Unfortunately, I don't have any tannis leaves. I didn't know of its anti-Bacterial/fungus fighting properties and I thought about getting some in the past. I don't think any of the pet stores around here sell it, but I'll definitely get some in the future. I'll ask the lady at Pruess's pets again if they carry it though. That would be my best bet. I know I could get it online, but the shipping may take too long for him.

I upped his salt treatments this morning to 2 1/2 teaspoons for each gallon. The half teaspoon was and accident, but I diceded to still go with it, as well as I doubled the medication mixture. I don't want to over-medicate him, but I'm not sure which is helping much, or if its both together. Tonight he seems to have perked up a bit and did eat two pellets as he refused to eat last night.

And yes, he does have some blue on him. I'm not sure as well if this is the same disease either. I'm thinking though that if that disease is a bacterial disease or virus, it could potentially effect other colored Bettas in different ways. I was looking at pictures online of nocrotic fins in freshwater fish and came across a furum about Columnaris with a picture of a goldfish that looked like the bettas in that furum. If it is a type of Columnaris, it would make since for the rapid deaths of the little guys. I know theres two different types of this disease, but even so, it's racking my brain at how fast this happened and why it's so hard to treat/ still trying to get worse.

#6 ·
I hope it can help a little... you have no Oak trees where you live?

hopefully they will have some... the stress coat may help a tad though... <3

the 1/2 extra should be fine :3 just don't go over the max three ^-^ I'm glad he seems to have perked up a little... all hopes at least :3 <3

yeah,, I don't know much about how the diseases function, but I suppose it is possible that it could show in different ways... I was wondering if it might be something genetic an irresponsible petstore betta breeder has triggered while not bothering to check genetics....

whatever it is the fact that it can't seem to be cured by anything seems pretty terrifying... and this sounds kindof scary too :( I've heard of highly aggressive fin to cases, but I dunno.... you'd think something would put at least a minor dent in it... is it turning black like the ones in that forum, or just eating away super fast?.....

#7 · (Edited)
His bottom fin originally turned a complete dark bloody red and then grayish/reddish/black color. At that point I took him out and started him on 1 teaspoon of salt in a gallon container. The next day it just started to disintegrate rapidly. His left pectoral fin which has no pigment never changed color, but just completely disintegrated. His right one is now effected, but it's moving slower and is only half-way gone but it's red with black at the edges. One of his long slender fins in the front just turned grey/black and then dropped off.

I just looked with a flash light at the fin on the top that you noticed had blue. o_O The blue is gone.....it is grey. :( The red on there seems unaffected aside from his fins being slightly clamped? The edges of what are left of his bottom fins are grey and there's only a bit of the fin-bones sticking out from the rest of it. All the blue he had on him is gone now and it does look grey were the color had once been aside from his eye. His eye is half blue and half red. :(

#8 ·
ahh... I'm so sorry... :( I mentioned on the board a medication called Neomycin you might look into... but I dunno if it'd be any help or if you could even get it... I can't imagine having to deal with that,, I'm so sorry.... :( strange that the red part seems not too bad though you say?... what on earth if only the blue parts got it? 0.o I'm so sorry this is happening to you... I wish we could help... this is awful... I just can't even imagine.... :/ <3

#9 ·
It's okay. Thank-you so much though. I'm just going to wait and hope for the best. I think if it is the same disease I should be grateful that he lasted more than a day, let alone this past week. If he still keeps on progressing like this, I think I'll take him to preuss's with me and ask about Neomycin. The lady at Pruess's did tell me to bring him in if he continued to get worse because the medication he's on is a strong medication and should wipe it out. I just haven't wanted to stress him by taking him there. I don't know if they do testing though to see what it is.

#10 ·
yeah.. well at least you know it's not your fault and that you did everything you could.... if we ever do figure out that this disease is genetic I'm going to be furious... there's no excuse for something like this... if it does come down to that I would love to hear their take on it... I hope we can get to the bottom of this... best wishes for the little guy... he sounds like a fighter...^-^;

#12 · (Edited)
indubitably |c
but we will find out one way or another. T^T and that's a whole lot of angry people~
I think most of the caretakers of the fish in the cases found on here did compare notes in that topic already though.... didn't find any common product as far as I recall.... and I'm still latching onto genetics.... unless as you said maybe they effect differently colored fish in different ways.... do you think it could do that?.... I didn't think they could be selective.... but then again I don't know many facts.... I guess they could attack the same but be easier to see on some colors more than on others... but on your boy if he has it you'd think we might get to see this... and it should still kill at the same rate and therefore still be noticeable appearance aside, right?...

plus we see it in experience and inexperienced caretakers alike....

#13 · (Edited)
That's what I'm thinking as well... If he does have it, I'm wondering why he's still around. Maybe it's the meds I put him on? IDK The medicine she gave me I never heard of before, so I never intented to use it, let alone knew before that if it was safe for Bettas. I'm just thinking if it's not genetic, that it may be able to effect differently colored fish in different ways. I'm not sure as I'm just thinking of the possibilities since we don't know much about it.

Everything I look at online about necrosis in fish point towards a crap-load of bacterial pathogens that are grouped with or related to the Columnaris type diseases. Another thought I had was maybe Saprolegnia which is a type of fungus that is often mistaken for columnaris. The only reason I though of this is while reading through some of the documents of it online, it showed a picture or two of what looked like those guys fins. Saprolegnia are present in ALL aquariums and ponds as well. But it never siad anything about it killing a fish in 24hrs. IDK If it's not one of these, maybe it could be an advanced or medicine resistant form? My thoughts on this are maybe it mutated to resist common meds we use like staff infections that became resistant to meds, as this form of staff is known as Mrsa. I don't really know anything about it. I'm just brainstorming thoughts in my head. Sorry.

The page I was referring to here is listed below. Like I said, just some thoughts I'm having.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

#14 ·
no, I think it's really interesting... I just wish I knew enough to keep up and add some useful thought in, haha :p you have some really good theories though.... ^-^ maybe next case we get we can try your meds out if they're able to get them fast enough.... then we could see if there's a pattern..... on the blue-related line, maybe he's lasting longer because he only has some blue and it's only attacking those parts?.... iunno though... again that'd have to be the color line... also I guess some diseases do look different on different-colored fish, like I think finrot does? the diseases you mentioned do sound like the closest ideas.... and you're right about mutations and immunity,, I never even thought of that....... that'd actually make sense xc
I'm having to use my brother's computer right now and his keyboard is a nightmare... I'll try to get ahold of one of the normal ones later tonight to have a look at it though.... thankyou for the read. :3 I love learning about these sorts of things but I rarely get around to it with everything else, so I really appreciate it. ^-^

#15 ·
It's no problem. Thanks for listening. I was kinda just freaking out and my mind was racing with thoughts on what it could be last night. I think it was spurred a little by an emotional overload as well as my little Indigo passed yesterday morning. As I was looking into info on both subjects, the mystery desease that's going around and Rojo being sick, that's what I kept coming across and thinking in both situations.

Update:

Last night I put him in my empty 2.5 gallon as I decided to use it as my Quarantine tank. I'm continuing to use 2 - 2 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of salt and a double dose of Nitrifuranzone in his tank. I also rinsed out and put his little glass vase that he loves to hide in in there as well as a mini-nano filter without charcoal. I thought this might help him settle down a bit as he's been showing his stress stripes. He always shows his stress stripes when he's in the 1 gallon Quarantine tank.

Tonight he still seems very weak, but the disintegration doesn't seem to be getting worse as of today, even though it's hard to tell. The fuzzy white stuff on his side seems to have gone down a little tiny bit. The tiny pieces of fin-age, that fell off last night as I placed him in there, the size of Betta pellets, is completely dark blue. The meds in the water seem to be attacking them in other-words. He's slightly more active tonight than yesterday, but not by much. He is still refusing to eat as of the past two days though. He ignored food yesterday all together. Today he at least checked it out. His stress stripes seemed to have gone down a bit as well.

I have to wait till Thursday or Friday before I can get stress-coat for him. If I can't get him to eat in a few days, I may try hatching some BBS and feeding him them in a separate container of just fresh treated tap water. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that he's starting to slightly improve.

#16 ·
Update:

Like I said before, I'm not sure if he's going to pull through. I just noticed that he's starting to show signs of dropsy. he seems a little swollen and some of his scales on his sides are raised and kinda pin-coning away from his body. He's not completely pineconed yet. Does anyone think that I could add an anti-parasite med to the treatment I'm doing? I was reading about it in the treatment area. Should I stop the AQ salt treatment? I know with dropsy you should add epsom salt instead but I have none right now.

#17 · (Edited)
it's the least I can do... I wish there was more to be done to help.... I know it's hard to see them like this.... and I'm sorry to hear about your other boy.... I can only bet how much harder this all must be...
I'm sure he appreciated the larger tank and his vase <3
I'd remove any finnage that has separated itself from his body... particularly if the meds are focusing on it, might slow them down on him? definitely interesting that it's attacking it though.... 0-o

glad the rot seems to have at least quit spreading and the fuzz is going down a tad.... also sorry to hear downs are coming with the ups... but I suppose it's better than all downs <3
I'm not sure about the dropsy as my boy's never had it... I thought I read somewhere epsom salt was actually bad for it?... maybe not though.... I would post a second board particularly asking about dropsy treatment... or contact Old Fish Lady.... maybe she'd even no a natural remedy? like I said I haven't had much with dropsy... still hoping for you guys :( <3

here's someone who supposedly managed to save one of their fish from it....
"I had 1 with dropsy that survived. Everyone told me to treat her for parasites, but it took 2 weeks to get parasite medication, so I used what I had. Jungle Fungus Clear (at 3x the recomended dose) and epsom salt with 100% daily water changes with more meds. After about a week, the bloating started going down, and then her color started coming back. "

from here by callmeconfused...
but with all the meds he's already needing that seems like it might overload him.....

here from a morewell-known member...
"Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable. "

from
diseases and treatment guide

from LittleBettaFish:
"Dropsy is basically caused by organ failure. It's the kidneys starting to shut down, which is why once they reach the pineconing stage it is very difficult to successfully treat. Ideally, you would you some kind of anti-bacterial if symptoms presented, but high doses of epsom salt sometimes help draw out the fluids." :/

#18 ·
and the boy here had both a tumor and dropsy... OFL gave them advice on first page.... the fish didn't make it, but his scales did flatten before he passed, so the treatment may have worked if not for the tumor... might be worth a try anyway.... and like I said, you may try asking OFL what to do in a case where he's already high under meds... if anyone knew anything it'd probably be her... he's already taken a lot of hits though... poor boy... :/ I definitely think there's nothing you could do differently though..

#19 ·
and the boy here had both a tumor and dropsy... OFL gave them advice on first page.... the fish didn't make it, but his scales did flatten before he passed, so the treatment may have worked if not for the tumor... might be worth a try anyway.... and like I said, you may try asking OFL what to do in a case where he's already high under meds... if anyone knew anything it'd probably be her... he's already taken a lot of hits though... poor boy... :/ I definitely think there's nothing you could do differently though..
Thank-you so much for the help and support. That's my fear as well, that I don't want to over do it with him and meds. I hear that aquarium salt helps retain water sometimes as well, so I'm wondering if that may be causing some bloating as well? IDk. The only other thing I can think to do is maybe just do a 100% water change tonight and place him in just treated tap water W/O the salt and just add the meds. I figure that might be able to let me know if it's due to salt or not. If it's not due to the salt he may balloon. If it is due to it, I'm thinking this might help him. IDK

If it does help, I think I'll keep him on the meds and just wait and get Epsom salt on Thursday with Stress coat if he lasts. After that, I'll try what OFL said. I think some of his flaoting issues is due to his severe fin damage as well though. It's so hard to tell. Aside from this, his wounds seem to still be doing a bit better. They're starting to look more cleaned up. I'm just hoping he can hold on a bit longer as he might be able to pull through if he can.

Again, Thank you so much. I know he can go either way at this point, but as long as he's still fighting I'm not going to give up. Thank-you so much. :)

#20 ·
I'm really just glad to do as much as I can if it can help in any small way at all... ^-^<3
I think removing the salt is a shot at this point... I think this definitely counts as one of those cases where you use resorts you would generally avoid... and since bloating is inner, not outer, I don't think the salt would have any effect on stopping it... it's worth a try at least... my boy's been in two teaspoons per gallon for several days, but the .5 could make a huge difference and besides that your guy has loads of other issues playing in that could make it worse, so I think you're right in not ruling it out....
your plan sounds pretty good to me, :3 and another good point I could see being easily miss-able... the damaged fins probably would be tough to swim with ^-^;
I'm glad his wounds are still doing well... I dunno if that'd be due to meds or his immune system coming back or both... but it's good it's getting the stuff out either way....

and I agree.. I think if the fish isn't willing to give up yet we owe it to them not to give up either regardless of which way it goes ^-^

#21 · (Edited)
True true. I decided to try and take him out to put him in fresh healthy water from my cycled 10 gallon W/O anything added to see if he'd perk up a bit as a little test run. Like I said, when I got home from work his wounds still seemed a little better but he seems to not be breathing too well. Once I stuck him in a small container he relaxed for a second and then started darting around a bit, swimming up-side down in circles and attempting to jump.

I then put him back in his tank because he seemed to stop using his gills. He just went motionless and started twitching one of his fins. I then said my goodbyes to him and shut off the tank light and left him like that for an hour just in case.

Well, he has passed on over the rainbow bridge. Poor little guy tried to fight till the very end. I also checked his gills gently after I pulled him out and they were completely ate up. The salt was probably the only thing keeping him breathing. I'm going to miss him, but there's nothing else I could do. I think it was harder to see him suffer. For some reason I feel more relieved than sad at him passing as I didn't want him to have to suffer anymore. May little Rojo rest in piece.

This is how I will always remember him though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yStt7sV_RU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SayNdbqhfdE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Thank-you so much for your help and suggestions, and above all; for listening. I appreciate it more than you know.

#22 ·
awww... I'm sorry to hear about his passing... I do think you both fought it till the end though and I'm glad you're viewing it this way... I think it's a good state of mind to keep, especially for the loved ones who are so tiny and fragile.... he looks like a stunning, beautiful, silly boy... and that jump is just painful hilarious haha :) <3 I'm glad he'll be good and happy and suffer-free now <3 I'm always happy to help however I can and I'm always happy to listen if nothing else... I'm glad I could be around and get to know him a little, I really appreciated it... <3

#23 ·
NP... :) Yeah when he jumped like that and I was filming him I laughed so hard I almost dropped the camera. He almost did a clear leap outta the tank when he did that. XD I'll never forget it. And in the other one he was just swiming up and down all over the place that night, even after I filmed him. When I got him on film thinking he had a pellet, that was the only time he did that. ^_^

My you-tube posts are just that mostly, vids of my most fondest moments in my life caught on tape even though I'm still new to the whole youtube thing. Again.. Thankyou.

#24 · (Edited)
he totally could have been a flying-fish. x3 <3 I didn't have the sound on so I thought he had for a brief second till the camera found him again. -rolls- it seemed like how far he flew came as a surprise to him too x3
mine does that sometimes :D he mostly quits once he realizes he's not getting food x3 but sometimes when he's feeling really good he just does it to show off :p it's so cute, I can see how they get people who don't know any better to over-feed them. it's so great because you know they're smart, but then they do the most ridiculous things ;u; we have a clear glass flower vase we put in mine awhile back, and he goes in there all the time now and it's great because he's convinced that you can't see him for some bizarre reason, so it always looks like the cartoons where they think they're invisible and they're all in your face acting dumb, and then this sudden realization comes over them for a brief moment before they go into denial. x3 <3 sometimes I feel so bad for him I pretend I can't find him x3;
they're adorable when they get full of themselves too, haha :p
I'll have to watch them all :3 that's definitely one of the best uses for it. <3 I hope my guy will get to that point where maybe I can begin taking some silly videos myself. <3 it's so great to be able to relive and share those moments again and again... <3 thankyou too, it was sad but it was still definitely an honor. <3

#25 ·
he totally could have been a flying-fish. x3 <3 I didn't have the sound on so I thought he had for a brief second till the camera found him again. -rolls- it seemed like how far he flew came as a surprise to him too x3
mine does that sometimes :D it's so cute, I can see how they get people who don't know any better to over-feed them. it's so great because you know they're smart, but then they do the most ridiculous things ;u; we have a clear glass flower vase we put in mine awhile back, and he goes in there all the time now and it's great because he's convinced that you can't see him for some bizarre reason, so it always looks like the cartoons where they think they're invisible and they're all in your face acting dumb, and then this sudden realization comes over them for a brief moment before they go into denial. x3 <3 sometimes I feel so bad for him I pretend I can't find him x3;
I'll have to watch them all :3 that's definitely one of the best uses for it. <3 I hope my guy will get to that point where maybe I can begin taking some silly videos myself. <3 it's so great to be able to relive and share those moments again and again... <3 thankyou too, it was sad but it was still definitely an honor. <3
Thankyou... ^_^ Rojo would do that too with his little vase. I got him that about a month ago because he was too big for my extra castle-cave. He used to shove himself into it and get stuck. lol! He would also go under the front part of the vase and push it up so he could sleep under the entrance. For the first week, when he wasn't doing this he would sit there and guard it as well, acting like I was going to take it away or something. XD

I didn't want to spend $10.00 on a big enough one so I went with a glass mini-vase. You know the big weird shaped vases that they advertised with a Betta and plant as a small ecosystem and they said you don't have to feed them? This equaling inhumane. I got him an mini one of those for a cave for him. I also got it as a tribute to my poor guys I used to keep in those, save for plants when I was young and naive. I also placed some gravel in it.

#26 ·
daww x3 <3 mine has an awkward obsession with small places... I could see him doing that |:" <3 I just recently moved him back into his big tank maybe a week ago I guess, and his heater pushes against his filter at an angle, so he decided to try being snugglebuddies with the intake |: -headdesks massively- it didn't go well ofcourse >^> I left him for maybe four hours and came home to him looking like a pirate with 90% of his top fin hanging by a thread x.x I don't suspect he'll try it again though, lol xc the intake itself had never been strong or pulled him in any way, so I'd never bothered to sponge it. but it wasn't intended for snuggling next to ;-;"
I wanted to try a castle but was scared he'd be a genius and find some way to beat himself up on it ;-; I bet my guy would love one of those tiny vases though, that's a really great idea :3 that's adorable how he'd sleep under it and guard it when he was out x3 it's also a decent use for them for once >^< and a good tribute. <3 at least you had good intentions, unlike the petstores who keep them in those tiny cups and never bother to change the water or medicate them even though they must KNOW....
we got lucky and found an old vase we didn't use anyway, so I just rinsed the spazz out of that one :3 I had never used vases before so I was scared he might not be able to find his way back out of a small one..
mine is mostly bare, but I did accidentally get a piece in once when I was cleaning the tank... he was on the outside and when I started to get the debris out that the filter had pushed into it, it started knocking the rock against the side and the look he gave it was priceless x3 it was like he couldn't understand why it kept stopping and flying backwards every time it was about to hit him x3;

#28 ·
thanks, I'll check that out :3 :3
and oh geeze he is, haha @_________@ he usually ends up sinking his food with all his silly splashing before he can get it, and when I had him in the QT cup he kept chasing his tail and attacking it because he though it was another betta. when he finally managed to get ahold of it he'd take a huge chunk out of it and then freak and smash into the side of the cup because 'something' just bit him xc <3

#30 ·
haha, yeah, I was really relieved when I realized he didn't know what he was doing though, I was scared he might make a habit of it |c

#31 ·
True true... I understand. Thankfully you don't have to worry much about that with Plakats because there fins are so short it's hard for them to get to. If they could easily get them, My Giant Tetsu would've torn himself apart. He is the most aggressive little guy I've ever had. I think he's bound and determined to kill the Betta in his reflection. I think that's his main goal in life. Lol! That and to eat as much food as I'm willing to give him. I gotta feed him six pellets as that's about as big as his eye is...XD

#34 ·
oh wow, that's amazing.. O_O I can't imagine a betta that big haha, that must be so neat. I bet they are a little messier being bigger and all though.... I'm glad he can't get his fins :p and I'm glad it's healing up well :D
do you have any pictures of him? ^-^ where did you find him at?! I've seen supposed Giants at the petstore before, but nothing like that 0.o maybe they were just babies though? :3

#35 ·
Sorry, I've been sick with strep. I;m feelin better now. I got him at Petco. They sold him as a king Betta, but he was bigger than their other Kings there. His nose was touching one end of the cup while his tail was touching the other. Their other Kings just look like older Plakats to me, so I'm not sure if I could really call him a pure giant or not. This is the best picture I have of him so fare. Sorry about the blueish border, It was never meant to be permanent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.