Betta Fish Forum banner

Frustrated

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  imsunflwr1 
#1 ·
I think maybe I bit off more than I can chew. I'm wanting to do a few NPTs. Some of the plants and Red Cherry Shrimp have arrived... should be getting the rest of my plant order and MTS on Monday. The problem is I'm trying to figure out how to get the water to and from the tanks (2.5, 5.5, and 10 gal.)! I was going to use a 5 gallon bucket, fill it in the bath tub, dechlorinate it, then haul it to the tanks and syphon it in, but now I realize I can't lift it... it's too heavy for me. :-( I know I'll be doing lots of water changes at first with the new NPTs. How do you folks do it? I just had my kitchen remodeled so now I have a fancy faucet that's not threaded. Do I need to dechlorinate if I'm doing back to back water changes til it's clear? Perhaps get a new garden hose and come up from the basement? Egaaads... what have I gotten myself into??? :shock:

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!!

#3 · (Edited)
I know Aqueon has a water change hose that you can attach to your sink! They have a 25' version and a 50' version. I'm not sure how you'd dechlorinate (I guess just add the dechlorinator to the tank?). I just use a 2.5 gallon bucket myself. I find that isn't too heavy. Lots of hauling water around though :p I have ordered myself a the 50' Aqueon water changer, I figure the controllable flow will make it worth it. I'm tired of my little plants all coming up to float after water changes.

#4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for replying! I think that's what I'll have to do and you're right... that's not so bad. I was having a closed mind to other options. What do you do about chlorinating and warming the tap water? My warm water is hooked to my water softener so I can't do that. Maybe have a rain barrell in a closet, filled with dechlorinated water with a heater???

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for replying! I think that's what I'll have to do and you're right... that's not so bad. I was having a closed mind to other options. What do you do about chlorinating and warming the tap water? My warm water is hooked to my water softener so I can't do that. Maybe have a rain barrell in a closet, filled with dechlorinated water with a heater???
Yep I think that's what a lot of people do, they just keep a separate heater and container for heating up water. Dechlorinator works instantly so you can add it at any point before the fish are in it really. I usually put a couple of drops in the bottom of my bucket and let the water mix into it/aerate it.

Also, it's very helpful to put a plate down on your substrate to pour the new water onto - it prevents dust and plants from getting kicked up everywhere.

#6 ·
My tanks range from 3 gallons up to 20. For the larger ones, I siphon out the water into a storage bin but only fill it about halfway. If I am doing a larger change, I use 2 bins. I have one filling up while I dump out the water in the other one. I think the bins are like 6ish gallons so I fill them up about halfway which is about 3 gallons. That way I can still lift it and carry it to the bathroom to dump it.

As for adding the water back in, I try to keep it the same temp as the tank water. You can get kinda close by feeling it. I have a small area in the corner of the tank that is just wood and stone - no live plants. I use that spot to pour in the new water. I only have sand - no soil. I would think the first time adding water to the soil would be kinda messy??

#7 ·
Thanks!

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it and now I'm getting the idea. It really won't be as difficult as I was making it. Off today to get a large plastic garbage can for water storage and an appropriate size heater. Thanks Again!

P.S. Love your avatar Tikibirds!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.