Betta Fish Forum banner

What is this spot?

278 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Remi 
#1 ·
So I just picked up this little boy, Sharpie, at Petsmart yesterday (11/16/14) morning. He's darkened up a bit and this spot, or spots, on his head and toward his back have become much more obvious. They haven't changed though.

I googled Columnaris and it didn't match any of the google photos much but I'm not going to diagnose it based on that. Though when I read descriptions of columnaris it sounds like it. However I feel like I do when I'm reading strange diseases on WebMD and feel like I have symptoms for all of them. -_- They all seem to have a lot that match up and a lot that don't.

Also read that it could be damaged scales? It DOES shimmer like a scale. It gets the teal green shimmer in the light. And it's completely flush with his body not raised or anything.

He's swimming around an eating just fine. His color is only getting better from when I brought him home. And I can see no signs of damage to his fins. It's just those spots.
What do you more experienced people think?

I answered some of the questions but as I just got him most of it doesn't really apply since he would have been bought with it.

I've always been very lucky with my fish and never had issues so I'm completely paranoid. :-|

Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 10G. He's in around 3.3G to himself.
What temperature is your tank? ~79 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He's alone in his division but with another Betta in the tank.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Now.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No clue.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Just got him. He's about 2" nose to tail.

Yesterday after I got him into the tank.

**NOTE** I edited this image to show off the spot better. He is not this pale/grayish.

And here is the shimmer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, those are just different colored spots is all! Nothing to worry about at all :-D He's quite the beautiful boy!

#4 ·
What a lovely fish! I think his spots make him interesting to look at!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.