Betta Fish Forum banner

Urgent: Something is wrong with my Betta!

696 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Andrea35 
#1 ·
I purchased my betta about three weeks ago. He lives in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter that is running 24/7 and a heater. When I first got him I noticed that there were some tiny grey spots underneath his swim bladder (first picture), but I pushed them aside thinking they irrelevant. For the first week I noticed that he wasnt pooping, and when he did finally relieve himself, his poop was clear and stringy almost mucus like. So I did a 100% water change. It has been almost two weeks since then and my betta has still not pooped! Not only that but the grey spots have worsened (second and third picture)! I've tried to figure out what it is but I haven't had any luck finding something like it. Can someone please help?!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Clear poo is a sign of an internal parasite, the spots look like natural marbling but you need to take care of those parasites asap
Actually what are you feeding him and how often? And by "clear and mucus like" do you mean clear or do you mean whiteish?
If you meant clear-clear he might be constipated due to poor quality food, then feed frozen daphnia and fast him for a while, then use only omega one or NLS pellets as food
I'm sorry, I don't have the knowledge to contribute to this thread, but I do have to say that is one pretty fish! I love his colors!
I agree with all the above. Would certainly be helpful to know what is being fed and how often.

he really is stunning in thoe photos..... o.o

#3 ·
"Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites.

#4 ·
Actually what are you feeding him and how often? And by "clear and mucus like" do you mean clear or do you mean whiteish?
If you meant clear-clear he might be constipated due to poor quality food, then feed frozen daphnia and fast him for a while, then use only omega one or NLS pellets as food

#7 ·
Thank you everyone, and I've been feeding him 2-3 pellets Monday, Wednesday and Friday of the aqueon betta food. I've also given him a quarter of a pea to see if that sped anything up but it didn't seem to help. And I'm pretty sure that it was clear. But I guess I'll just wait for him to poop again to find out:( he hasn't been acting lethargic, but he does move really spastically sometimes.

#8 ·
Peas don't work on betta, only on fish that eat plants. Bettas are meat-insect eating fish so peas will constipated them instead of work as a laxative. Fast him please, as this might be he only way to make him poop (unless you have any frozen daphnia on hand)

#9 ·
Alright! I have been fasting him for three days now, and while changing his water found a solid poop! But I also happened to notice that there was still some membrane on one of the plants, and I got it on the net (picture). Does that look parasitic to you, or is it completely normal?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.