Betta Fish Forum banner

I'm so frustrated!!!

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  1fish2fish 
#1 ·
It's been about two weeks since I got my betta fish, still to be unnamed. I mentioned before about how I never saw him eating, and how he wouldn't eat. And he still hasn't!!!

When I put the blood worms in his tank, he isn't interested. He doesn't even go to smell it or see what it is!

I've been putting something in the water to get his attention, and when he swims towards the top I put the food in. Bt once the thing I put in the water is gone and he knows it, he continues swimming on and pays no attention to the food.

And I wait three hours. THREE HOURS. And he still doesn't eat. So I take the food out so it doesn't make a mess. I've done this almost every. singe. day.

It's so frustrating! I'm afraid he will die because he doesn't eat. I've had NO trouble whatsoever with my crowntail and veiltail that passed away. They ate perfectly fine. He is a half moon and I'm wondering if they are different in eating habbits. This is the first time I've had one.

I just don't know what to do!!!!!

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Being a halfmoon has no bearing on if he eats or not. Just keep trying. It is fustrating when something won't eat for. I breed snakes and every now and then you will get a hatchling that won't eat. Sometimes they just don't eat its a part of life. I'm sure your Betta will eat. Is he in a stress free area? What are you feeding?

#6 ·
Man, my bettas literally jump and try to bite my fingers when I get to feeding them bloodworms or brine shrimp. You've got one weird fish. XP

Are they frozen/live blood worms or freeze dried? Freeze dried ones usually don't tickle mine's fancy nearly as well as the frozen.

#8 ·
x: freeze dried blood worms are what i call Potato Chips for Bettas. they aren't too healthy.

try getting a variety of pellets. my bettas adore the mix i have. it's mostly New Life Spectrum Grow pellets, which smell REALLY rich, and has a few other kinds i can't remember the name of mixed in. maybe your betta doesn't like the smell of the food. x: smell, is how my white HMPK, Theo, knows where his food is. that, and it's always fed in the same place, but in the beginning, when i first got him, hew searched them out by smell. :3

#11 ·
Do you have any frozen shrimp or fish in your freezer...if so....cut and smash a small piece and offer that or even better....mosquito larva.....go look outside for some standing water net the larva, rinse under running water and offer them-live food can often stimulate feeding response.....got any fresh garlic....crush some and roll the fish food in the juice and offer this on the end of a tooth pick......

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, tank mates.....type of lights and how long are they on......how is he acting otherwise besides not eating.....

#12 ·
The tank is a five gallon. I do half tank water changes every week. Temp is about room, wich is warm enough for a betta, I checked lol. Light is regular hood light, and it's all all day and off at night. Addatives are betta conditioner, no live plants, and the filter is a wisper.

#14 ·
I've found with pet store bettas that some of them will not take anything but pellets at first, it's like they don't know that its food.

As someone said FD foods aren't really healthy anyways.

Try pellets or even if you have a tiny piece of raw shrimp or fish you can give that to him to try. If you live in a pollution free area live foods like hand caught small flies and mosquito larvae work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.