Betta Fish Forum banner

Question: Betta Kit

2K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  TheJadeBetta 
#1 ·
What are somethings you can't live without? Stuff like Aquarium Salt, Tap Water Conditioner, etc. What types of medicines would you keep on hand at all times? I am just really curious.

#2 ·
Oops I messed up the title. I just noticed that.

#3 ·
This is me:

Aquarium Salt
Water conditioner (Prime)
Siphon
Bucket
Net
Container for fishes
Sponges (for filter)

That's about it that I can think of. I don't have any meds on hand. I would probably say Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 would be nice to have on hand, but it's not for serious stuff, i believe?

#4 ·
Pretty much the same as xxabc:

Aquarium salt
Water conditioner
Gravel vac
Gallon container for water changes
Net, though rarely used
Food
Test kit

I also have Maracyn 1 and 2, which is a pretty broad spectrum medication, but I've never had to use it since my fish stopped tail biting.

EDIT- Also, a toothbrush. I've been using one to scrub the algae off my tank / decor and I've become quite attached to it.

#6 ·
Water Conditioner
Test Kit
Aquarium Salt
Bucket
Gravel Vac
Quarantine tank
Food
Heavy Ceramic Statues

That last item is to weigh down the lid on the filter, otherwise my cat will remove the lid and drink my tank water and inevitably leave her hair in the filter.

#7 ·
Everyone seems to have covered most things... I also like to have a strainer on hand. Very useful for rinsing substrate, not to mention catching all the crud and debris when I pour my old water down the bathtub drain.

And now for some other random items I use all the time:

-A pipette. Basically its like a mini turkey baster. Very handy for feeding live/frozen foods, not to mention taking water samples (I can NEVER get exactly 5 mL by dipping the test tube into the tank). I have gotten them from pet stores but technically they are for use in microscopy (for putting water onto a slide).

-A baby syringe. Very handy for measuring meds, ferts or water treatments when your tank is so small that you are measuring water additives in mL. You can get them at drug stores... personally I get mine from the vet as its what they send my dog's dewormer home in.

-A slurpee straw. You know the ones with a pseudo-spoon at one end? I love them for scooping out uneaten food without getting my hands wet.

-A plastic cup. Either disposable or a cheap plastic cup meant for patio use. I use it to keep my net, pipette, syringe and slurpee straw in :)

#9 ·
Awesome! I kinda wanted to see what everyone had.

#11 ·
It's not just you puppyrjjkm. I have to have dish towels around. I slop water everywhere.

I have all the same stuff everyone else has. I also have a general cure anti parasitic, maracyn plus, and tetracycline treated dry food in a baggie.

#17 ·
I have a fish towel.. but I make so much of a mess its hardly ever dry and I have to use my bath towels LOL.. and my roommate wonders why I have to borrow one of her bath towels to shower so often haha.

I forgot fish towels because I don't keep it in my fish box and thats what I glanced in when I posted.

#18 ·
What are the sponges and rubber bands for?

#19 ·
I use sponges to scrub my tanks/heaters/filters and to use as buffers. Rubberbands are to hold sponges/pantyhose closed if I am using it as a buffer. And for keeping bags of stuff closed like aquarium salt, unused gravel, etc.

#20 ·
Oh okay...Another question...What is a good size QT tank?

#21 ·
IMO 1-2 gallon tanks are a good size. Right now my rescues are all in 1 gallon tanks save on who is in a 2 gallon. 2 gallons are nice because you can put an adjustable heater in them without worrying... but one gallons are really easy to change the water out.

#22 ·
Thank you!

#23 ·
Bear in mind that for a tank you are going to be measuring medicine into, smaller sizes are not always practical... of course you don't want to be treating 20g worth of water for 1 betta. That would add up money-wise. But in the same breath, lord help you if you ever find yourself having to divvy up a packet of maracyn powder into 1g portions.

Of course most powder antibiotics can be diluted with water and kept in the fridge but I would never advise refridgerating antibiotics for more than a few days.

So for that reason I prefer a 5g for QT.

#28 ·
Ugh. When I rationed the Maracyn out some months ago for a treatment for Roy Cherry I nearly went insane. I ended up doing it on my desk with a credit card. Made some crack lines, etc.

Not advised, but of course, there are alternative medications and tanks.

LOL! Same here! Good thing my parents didn't walk in or I don't know if they'd accept my explaination.

Worst of all was bringing home Levimasole (sold under the table in Canada) in little ziplock baggies... ON public transit, during the Winter Olympics when security was high. Did you know levimasole is one of the most common 'fillers' mixed in with cocaine? :shock: Had I been searched I wouldna been in custody until the lab results came back!

Unfortunately most antibiotics are sold in powder form to increase their shelf life.

#27 ·
Alternative medicines like healthy water changes. Always the first step! Of course we all probably will use medicine at one point. Maracyn 1 is probably the only one I've ever used.

#32 ·
'Oh those... that's umm... dewormer medicine for my pet fish... well actually I was aware that levimasole isn't sold in Canada... I got it from a friend who brought it up from the U.S. I have the reciept!!!'
Sounds like something I would say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.